Step by Step | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Step by Step

mtxexplorer

Reaction score
is it possible for someone to give a good step by step of taking off the door panels in their explorer to replace the speakers. i just dont want to break the damn things. helpful things would be: where on the door you started to actually pry of the retaining clips, how you actually got them off (is it just put in the screwdriver, paint scraper, or panel tool and pry, or is there some magic formula)
i got the "master sheets" from crutchfield and i know all the bolt & screw spots, but i just dont know how to acually take of the panel and deal with retaining clips after that.
HELP!!
thanks
tim

just pull them off! i usually start in the bottom front corner of the door and i all i use is my fingers it will make an ugly sound but dont worry. a paint scraper or screwdriver wiil do. they also have a door panel tool.when your done just line the fastners back up and hit the panel with your hand.Sometimes one or to will break but no big deal really besides you can pick some new ones up from ford od j.c. whitney hope this helps

thanks for the advice, but losing some contacts can make for some REAL bad rattling, and what about the chance of cracking the panel?

There's a little black thing around the door handel. Pop that out with a screwdriver. Then take the two screws out behind the handel and the one in the upper right corner. After that take a door panel remover ($8 at a parts store) and pry off the plastic bolt holding the panel to the door. Once you get a corner off you can pop the whole thing off. I found it's easier to disconnect the power window panel so you can take the whole panel off. (Done after panel is popped off.)

Back