• Register Today It's free!

Stereo w/no sound

Joe Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hi, Some years back I had an alpine installed in my 1992 XLT explorer. That system went out. I went to put back in the stock stereo and they clipped off the whole plug. They only reattached some of the wires. I went to the junkyard clipped off a plug and reattached all the wires. Lights, radio buttons and everything works except the sound? On the back of the stereo there is an additional empty plug slot but I don't see another set of wires that would go in there? I'm thinking the amp wire is cut some where but I cannot tell where? Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks

i think your truck has the premimum sound system there for you have a built in amp you have to ither bypass the exzisting amp or tie into it personaly i am using the factory amp plus the head units amp.

I have a 1992 eddie bauer,1st gens have the jbl factory system with a sub and amp. i have a dual head unit in mine,when i installed my HU i didnt have to bypass the amp or wire it in,that might be because they dont work im not really to sure on that or how to tell if they work,

Back