Sticky driver's door lock...alarm goes off. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sticky driver's door lock...alarm goes off.

Definitely A. Problem is over time the general purpose lithium grease used from the factory collects dust and grit and hardens. Key is flushing out all that junk and get the two latch "claws" moving freely. Hopefully it's not more involved than cleaning and lubing, otherwise the door panel may have to be removed to check for linkage rod issues.

Sybertiger, quite honestly I'm surprised to see this "basic maintenance" post coming from you. I've seen a couple threads you started including your recent 4.6L intake manifold tips and your superb and often referenced PCV elbow vacuum leak thread a while back. Then again, NOTHING on EF surprises me, even coming from the Gurus. LOL

@swshawaii
I for one, appreciate your recognition for another's contributions and abilities. I believe Syber is definitely in the class of the Guru. I hope to learn even more from him. imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or maybe I'm just addicted, it smells so damn good. ;)

@swshawaii TriFlow? Never heard of it over here, but then, I am often sadly "behind the times". If the stuff smells so damned good, send me some, and I'll drink a bit!! Much of my experience, (but not all) comes from desert living where the R.H. is usually
~10%. Low humidity, very low dew points, stuff just don't rust. I would enjoy hearing/learning more about your experiences in Hawaii. Been there only once, 1985. jack.brady39@yahoo.com (imp)

imp (Jack?),. just Google Tri Flow. Generally the opinions of it are stellar on oil, lock, gun, cycling forums, etc. I "usually" find Amazon reviews reliable, but they tend to combine all one manufactures products in their reviews. I usually use their spray, but impulsively bought a 2 ounce drip bottle off the check out counter at Ace Hardware. This stuff rocks! Anyway, enough thread jacking here. I'll PM you later regarding Hawaii, etc.

Amazon.com : Tri-Flow TF20006 Superior Lubricant, 12-Ounce Aerosol : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors

Thought I was finished here, but two questions. Is the door lock button going all the way down when using the fob? Do you hear a buzzing or whirring noise when using the lock or unlock fob or power lock door buttons? Intermittent or non working power locks can only be caused by four things. Actuator, latch, rod clips, or broken wiring near the hinge. Often times the common fix is just lubricating the sticky latch.

Funny, but in my 14 years of owning the vehicle I've never used the manual door lock buttons....not once, not never until the other day when I toggled it back-n-forth. I had to look closely to find them...LOL! Anyhow, from what I could tell, the door lock buttons go all the way in and out with the FOB and never got stuck which is why I was asking about where to shoot it with lube.

Nope, no buzzing or whirring noise.

For now, it's locking okay but I will monitor it. Maybe my working it back-n-forth loosened it up.

@SyberTiger

Was there any resolution to this? Did you have to do anything further and is the lock operating properly now?

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's a few months old, but I am now experience the exact issue you encountered. I noticed it the other day when I (thought) I had locked the vehicle, walked away for a moment, and then came back. When I pulled on the driver door handle to open the door, the door opened as if I hadn't locked it, and then the horn started going off. This led me to eventually realize that the driver door was not locking, but all the other doors were.

If I press one of the buttons a few times, it will eventually lock, but it takes a few tries. The buttons I speak of are the "remote" door lock button on the door's armrest, the bottom 2 keypad buttons, or the lock button on the remote fob. I can push the actual lock directly above the handle to lock it immediately, but that lock seems to be binding up a little when pressing the other buttons.

Thanks!

@SyberTiger

Was there any resolution to this? Did you have to do anything further and is the lock operating properly now?!

It still happens every once in a while. Like you, I toggle the lock back and forth several times then it seems to work fine. Wish I knew the correct solution. Let us know if you figure it out. I'm thinking something needs lube but where?

It still happens every once in a while. Like you, I toggle the lock back and forth several times then it seems to work fine. Wish I knew the correct solution. Let us know if you figure it out. I'm thinking something needs lube but where?

Will do. I might crack into it this week if I get a chance. I noticed today once as I was exiting the vehicle, I hit the lock button on the arm rest and all the doors locked but then the driver door unlocked right away...I hadn't even closed the door yet.

Will do. I might crack into it this week if I get a chance. I noticed today once as I was exiting the vehicle, I hit the lock button on the arm rest and all the doors locked but then the driver door unlocked right away...I hadn't even closed the door yet.

Same thing was happening to me. Weird. Door would stay locked if I used remote instead, however.
Even though the problem went away (by itself), after a couple of weeks, I don't lock the doors using inside arm rest switch anymore, but only by remote.

Back