stiffer torsion bars from ford???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stiffer torsion bars from ford????

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
someone told me that you can by a stiffer rated torsion bar for an explorer from ford. is this true. I have the explorer express lowering kit but hate the mushy ride in the front- was looking to get stiffer torsion bars up front- thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"B" rated torsion bars are the stiffest and yes you can buy them from your dealer.

what is envolved in changing torsion bars- any speical tools needed?

Click on "Gerald's Truck" in my signature. I am writing an article there concerning mods and experiences I have had with my Explorer. Here is what I said in the section on torsion bars:

"A side issue I had to deal with while doing the torsion/Warrior lift was the fact that I couldn't crank my left torsion bar up very much. Upon cleaning up the front of my torsion bars I noticed that they are stamped with their identity; ie, the right one was stamped "BR" for "B" rated right hand torsion bar. I noticed by the stamping that the left one was one-sixth turn off as installed from the factory! I had to remove it, turn it one-sixth turn to its proper alignment, and reinstall it before twisting it up further for the lift. The bar is removed by completely removing the adjusting bolt that is used to do the twist, and then using a special Ford tool designed specifically for the sole purpose of releasing the static pressure on the bar's arm to enable removing the torsion bar. I used a gear puller instead and avoided having to buy the tool. It is NOT an easy job and is one of those things I cannot explain in words anymore than I could teach you to pick a lock without you seeing and feeling what needs to be done. If you must remove your bar you will realize by sight what you need to do once you begin the job."

Can I get new torsion bars from any other distributors other than Ford? And is it getting two driver sides from what I searched? B is the stiffer set compared to1 or how does that work? I’m looking to replace my sagged torsion bars for a new set

Can I get new torsion bars from any other distributors other than Ford? And is it getting two driver sides from what I searched? B is the stiffer set compared to1 or how does that work? I’m looking to replace my sagged torsion bars for a new set
stiffest is 1 the 2 (those were on sport tracs and ranger) the X got B-H iirc. and no i dont think so? i think ARB may have made some but i cant confirm i feel like o remember hearing sbout ARB tbars yesrs back. as far as what ford mafe 1 is the stiffest of all B is the stiffesr available stock on an X but all of them fit

stiffest is 1 the 2 (those were on sport tracs and ranger) the X got B-H iirc. and no i dont think so? i think ARB may have made some but i cant confirm i feel like o remember hearing sbout ARB tbars yesrs back. as far as what ford mafe 1 is the stiffest of all B is the stiffesr available stock on an X but all of them fit
So what I’m trying to figure out is what one will be stiffer for being installed onto my mountaineer, should I go with 1 or b? If 1 is off a sport trac what are the years for those? I have a junkyard next to me and I see a sport trac.

I think the 1st-gen Sport Trac went until 2005, don't quote me on that. You'll know the 2nd-gens from the 1st-gens, the headlamps have a "teardrop" design in them and the trucks themselves are much larger than the 1st-gens.

I don't recall where I ordered my code B T-bars from but I know they weren't knew when I got them. Do some web searching and it shouldn't be hard to find distributors; if you aren't sure which distributors are trustworthy, post a link here and we'll tell you if it's safe. Also check RockAuto.com if you haven't already.

I think the 1st-gen Sport Trac went until 2005, don't quote me on that. You'll know the 2nd-gens from the 1st-gens, the headlamps have a "teardrop" design in them and the trucks themselves are much larger than the 1st-gens.

I don't recall where I ordered my code B T-bars from but I know they weren't knew when I got them. Do some web searching and it shouldn't be hard to find distributors; if you aren't sure which distributors are trustworthy, post a link here and we'll tell you if it's safe. Also check RockAuto.com if you haven't already.
Rock auto was one of the first places I checked and couldn’t find any for the explorer/mountaineer, I’ll check for the sport trac. I’ve also done a web search and only one to come up is

F57Z-5B327-A.​

I can check with my local Ford dealer if needed but would rather stay out of there if I can order online.

@VWbaja10 I can check my purchase history to find my source, it's gotta be in there within the last few years.

Edit: the company was called Automotix.

@VWbaja10 I can check my purchase history to find my source, it's gotta be in there within the last few years.
Thanks. Reason why I want to swap is I went to install the lift keys, well they were already installed from a previous owner. After getting it all back together it sat where I’d like it, took it out for a 75mile desert trip and it sagged to where it was before.

@VWbaja10 The re-indexed keys should give you a bit more adjustment to "crank" them back up (settling after a few cycles is normal, so crank them higher than you want them to sit), but if a stiffer bar is some thing you also desire, code B is about as stiff as I'd recommend. Kinda wish some times I had gone for a slightly softer spring, but it's fine for the terrain I regularly run (mud, sand, gravel) and is great on the road. I think my Limited came with code B's too, but not sure.

My flex ramp pics show how stiff these bars are. Hardly any movement, with the truck sitting diagonally from the ground. But they do handle oversized tires well. Guess it's a trade-off, on these kinds of things.

@VWbaja10 The re-indexed keys should give you a bit more adjustment to "crank" them back up (settling after a few cycles is normal, so crank them higher than you want them to sit), but if a stiffer bar is some thing you also desire, code B is about as stiff as I'd recommend. Kinda wish some times I had gone for a slightly softer spring, but it's fine for the terrain I regularly run (mud, sand, gravel) and is great on the road. I think my Limited came with code B's too, but not sure.

My flex ramp pics show how stiff these bars are. Hardly any movement, with the truck sitting diagonally from the ground. But they do handle oversized tires well. Guess it's a trade-off, on these kinds of things.
They were cranked all the way when I reinstalled everything just like they were before I tore it apart, so I have no more adjustment unless I get longer bolts or just get new torsions which I’d prefer. Attached is a pic the morning before the trip at the height id like it to be at or an inch taller but it sags about an inch and half at the end of the 75mile
4BA8D766-4790-4396-A57A-D37DB8C59DBA.png

My front bumper doesn’t help with the added weight also

@VWbaja10 Yeah, I forgot about that hefty chonk of a bumper. That's probably most of the problem, honestly - stiffer bars will help with that. Do you know about how much that bumper weighs? The factory one can't be more than about 10 or 20 pounds, so if that one weighs more than 50 pounds, might as well go full-on and get code 1's... You won't likely regret it.

@VWbaja10 Yeah, I forgot about that hefty chonk of a bumper. That's probably most of the problem, honestly - stiffer bars will help with that. Do you know about how much that bumper weighs? The factory one can't be more than about 10 or 20 pounds, so if that one weighs more than 50 pounds, might as well go full-on and get code 1's... You won't likely regret it.
I would say it’s more than 50 pounds, buddy that installed it said it was pretty heavy and I’ve installed similar ones before and they aren’t light. I think the code 1’s will be my best option for what I want and how it’s used if they are the stiffest. Also any input on a good shock? It has rancho 5000’s now and they work well but was thinking either 9000’s or some bilsteins

@VWbaja10 The weight of an Explorer will squish a R5000 into crab salad. Not sure how, but I managed to bend one of mine, back when I had 'em. I mean, it was better than the worn-out stock ones, but definitely not ideal for these vehicles.

I've found the Superlift gas shocks to do well on mine (they came with the kit) but most of the 4"+ crowd on here will say Fox shocks are a good pick. Can't speak for those myself, though. There's some other brand that people like on here but I can't remember what it was called, for some reason.

Personally, I would recommend a gas shock absorber over a hydraulic one, for these trucks. Just personal preference. They seem to level faster after taking an impact, since they have their own "push" resistance, and they (regardless of what some know-it-alls will tell you) DO help to support the weight of the vehicle. I don't know about longevity, though.

@VWbaja10 The weight of an Explorer will squish a R5000 into crab salad. Not sure how, but I managed to bend one of mine, back when I had 'em. I mean, it was better than the worn-out stock ones, but definitely not ideal for these vehicles.

I've found the Superlift gas shocks to do well on mine (they came with the kit) but most of the 4"+ crowd on here will say Fox shocks are a good pick. Can't speak for those myself, though. There's some other brand that people like on here but I can't remember what it was called, for some reason.

Personally, I would recommend a gas shock absorber over a hydraulic one, for these trucks. Just personal preference. They seem to level faster after taking an impact, since they have their own "push" resistance, and they (regardless of what some know-it-alls will tell you) DO help to support the weight of the vehicle. I don't know about longevity, though.
I’ve ran bilsteins on other vehicles before and they work good, also have ran rancho years ago. Fox would be an option later on down the road then I could valve those to my liking

@VWbaja10 Bilstein, that was the one I couldn't think of. Ask around a bit, see what the other boyos are doing, and why. The best option ultimately depends on what you're doing with your truck.

You can’t run two drivers bars, the driver and passenger bars are different lengths.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back