Still idling too high when warmed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still idling too high when warmed up

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
hello all~
1994 XL, 4.0L OHV 5 speed manual 2 wheel drive, 4 door 136,000 miles

I am still battling my high idle issue when fully warm. It has a new thermosat, plugs/wires, IAC, lower intake gaskets... injectors.... what happens is when the temp gauge is by the C and the very bottom of the normal as it is warmING up the idle eventually kicks down way to like 700 or so where it should be. After it gets hot it won't idle lower than 900 rpm. Usually I figured the idle goes DOWN as it warms up, not up as it warms up. My next suspicion is my TPS. Could this be effected by heat, and as it all warms up the resistance inside gets screwed up? I took the sensor off and to autozone and I used their TPS checking tool and when you turn it and then release it, the resistance doesn't quite "seat" so to speak... it stays up a little bit and I have to push it down all the way to "seat" it. I had a look at their new sensor and it did not do this. It's $27 from autozone so I want to be sure it's bad before I replace it. Any ideas on a high idle when warm condition let me know. Thanks!

George

That's what some people think who I have asked. The weird thing is the base idle increases as it gets hotter, which confuses me. I thought it kicks down gradually as it warms up. It used to idle at 700..... It sounds like someone is holding their foot on the gas pedal but obviously not. ::sigh::

Back