Strange power window problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange power window problem.

flyer172

Reaction score
Passenger front window will not roll up, only down. It's the same thing with both switches. I checked the voltage going to the motor and it read 5V in the up position and 14V in the down position (car running) If I put full voltage to the motor from an alternate source the window rolls up fine so the motor is good. Here is the strange part. I took out the switch and checked the voltage to the switch, it's fine. So I took some wire and jumped the contacts in the switch receptacle, the window rolled up and down as it should. So naturally I assumed the switch was bad, so I bought a new one and the problem is still there. Why is there only 4-5V coming out of the switch in the up position? The wires to the switch have full voltage and the wires going to the motor from the switch have to be good because I jumped the switch and it worked. I'm stumped. Thanks!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed
I have this downloaded and can send it upon request. I also have the wiring diagrams for the power windows.

Good luck! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

The wires were the first thing I checked. Of course you can't really get to them very well but from what I could see they all looked clean with no signs of wear.

I would find it hard to believe that I have a wiring issue because I have proper voltage going to the switch and when the switch was bypassed (jumping the contacts) everything worked.

Could the master switch somehow be involved? I just don't get it.

The last link you sent looks interesting and will try following the procedures. It is for an 2002 Explorer though, hope it's the same.

Thanks very much for the help! I will repost if I get to the bottom of this.

Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the motor and testing the voltage?

The link I gave you is an excellent troubleshooter. I can send it to you if you want. I can also send wiring diagrams. What year is your Ex?

Let me know and good luck!

Back