• Register Today It's free!

SQUEAL FROM ENGINE?

jayem

Reaction score
City, State
spain
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 XLT OHV
On startup in the morning i get a very loud squeal/shreik which sounds like a belt slipping which i know it isnt cos we have already checked this out by removing the drive belt and running the engine, yep the noise is still there:mad:
When looking from the front of the engine the noise sounds as if its everywhere but am possibly thinking that its coming from the left hand side at the very back.
but cant see anything obvious unless its an internal fault.
sometimes when driving along it will just do it a couple of times and then dissapear for ages,
i was wondering if its possibly oil starvation to the lifters /rocker shaft bearings?
any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem too. I was trying to track down this noise today. It is definitely not belt slip or any of the belt driven components. I agree it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine bay. I am hoping it is not the timing chain.

I hope someone responds this time, because this is driving me nuts.

If it sound like it is in the back of the engine bay I don't think it is the timing chain, that is in the front of the motor. I am probably wrong on this but are all your vacuum lines hooked up? If one is not hooked up it can make a sucking/wooshing sound. Sometimes high pitched. But then usually something else doesn't work right or the engine runs poorly. All I can say is look for anything loose under the hood.

It's a metal on metal type of sound. Vac lines are good. It only lasts 1/2 to 2 seconds and only at startup. It almost sounds like a bad bearing, but I don't think it is a belt driven component. The reason I say I worry about the timing chain is because I can't localize the sound.

I AGREE ITS A METAL ON METAL SOUND, ITS DRIVING US NUTS TOO. IT LASTS A LOT LONGER THAN 2 SECONDS THOUGH!! SOMETIMES ON AND OFF FOR 10 MINS OR MORE ALTHOUGH IT IS WORSE ON STARTUP.
I'M ALMOST CERTAIN THAT I'VE TRACKED THE NOISE DOWN TO THE CAM SHAFT SENSOR RIGHT AT THE BACK OF THE BLOCK BETWEEN THE "V" ALMOST ON TOP OF THE FLYWHEEL HOUSING, THIS SENSOR ROTATES AND SENDS A SIGNAL TO THE INJECTION SYSTEM, I PRESUME THIS REPLACED THE OLD DISTRIBUTOR TYPE IGN. SYSTEM.
I GOT AN OIL CAN WITH A LONG FLEXI TUBE AND GOT SOME OIL AROUND THE BASE AND BLISS :) IT WAS QUIET FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS UNTIL IT DRIED OUT AGAIN. I CAN ONLY PRESUME THERES A BEARING SOMEWHERE ON THE DRIVE FROM THE CAM SHAFT UP THE DRIVE TO THE SENSOR.
I THINK WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE IT TO THE MAIN FORD AGENT BECAUSE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL THAT IF YOU TAKE IT OUT YOU NEED A SPECIAL TOOL TO RE-ALIGN IT.
IT TOOK A LONG TIME TO FIND IT AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE TO LOOK RIGHT OVER THE TOP OF THE ENGINE WITH A TORCH TO SEE IT.
WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IF WE TAKE IT IN TO AGENT, TROUBLE IS ITS INTERMITTENT AND CHANCES ARE WHEN THEY HAVE IT IT WONT DO IT!!!!

THANKS FOR EVERYONES REPLYS,BY THE WAY DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL TYPE OF "EXPANDED VIEWS" OF THE ENGINE COMPONENTS ? MY HAYNES MANUAL DOESNT GIVE ENOUGH DETAIL.

Thanks for the update. I will check that tonight. Do let me know what happens if you take it in for service. Mine started making the noise only when it was cold outside, usually in the winter and only when the engine was completely cold. This summer it started intermittently in warm weather, and has progressed to every other startup or so. It does make one go :confused:

As for a shop manual, I ordered one off ebay that is supposed to be a ford shop manual. The price was $8.00. Search ebay for ford shop manual and the year of your Explorer and see what comes up. ;)

Mine is doing it too. I think on mine it's the tensioner pulley for the belt. It lasts for about 5 min. or so.

hi there Ron, yes we thought that too at first but we took off the drive belt so nothing was turning and it still made the noise, and our noise is definatley coming from the back of the engine. good luck tho, it may be something easier to find on yours.
and ours definately isnt cold affected its 45 deg C in the sun here at the mo:cool:

Well, I was talking to a guy today and I possibly learned something interesting. He said that the Motorcraft belts are made about a quarter inch shorter than aftermarket belts, even when the numbers on the belts match.

I am going to purchase a Motorcraft belt tomorrow, and use the tension marks on the tensioner to see if it is indeed shorter than an aftermarket belt. If it is, I will run with it and see if the mystery squeal is gone.

the tensioner is designed to eliminate play...even if the belt is 1/2" longer...... unless the tensioner isnt strong enough or broken, it shouldnt cuase a problem with a different belt

I have the same problem, but it's only for about a half a second right when I start my truck after like an overnight sit. Right when it starts, there's a squeak/squeal, but then it doesn't do it the rest of the day....

Mike,

That's what mine does. Only when the motor is completely cool.

Jima,

I would think so also, but the tensioner is just a hair on the tight side of the last mark on the tension scale. To put it another way, it reads way on the loose side, but is still exerting tension. The teflon seal in the tensioner has no deflection and looks good.

When talking to this gentleman he asked if the problem started when I first changed the belt away from the original. It was around that time I think, but cannot be sure. I'm gonna try it since the belt isn't too expensive. It's a shame though, the Goodyear Gatorback on it now isn't that old.

As far as I know my belts haven't been changed (as far as I know) and the squeal only lasts about half a second and then doesnt do it the rest of the day... oh well it's too small to worry about right now, I just wanted to see some other opinions... :)

My 98 OHV just started the same noise from the rear of the motor a few days ago. I would like to know if anyone has replaced the camshaft sensor and solved the problem. Can anyone provide a picture of where the camshaft sensor is located? Thanks!

Well here's a pic of the sensor from my service CD. I'll order it tomorrow and see how it goes.

fc9cc17e.jpg

noise

hey guys I do not know there might be so many problems for the noise, if it does it only when it is cold I gusee it is the belt. When it is noisy throw some water on the belts and se if the noise goes away. If it does it is the belt. If it is a metal to metal sound, it could be the harmonic balancer. I had the same problem on my probe, where the harmonic balancer was ripping off. Had to replace it. Good luck

I already tried the water trick.

jayem- Was the part replaced just an electrical component or the whole cam position sensor assembly?

hi there, 99.9% certain it is the camshaft electronic sensr as we have had a stethescope on it and you can hear that its coming from there possibly a bearing/bush in the shaft that comes up from the engine, still havent had ours done yet!!! when we took it to our garage in spain they couldnt hear it at the time and therefore wont order any component for it!! helpfull eh... we know what it is but they have to hear it for themmselves b4 they will do it and only they can cos you have to have a special Ford tool to do the realignment on the gear or it will put the electronic ignition out of sync.
please let me know if you cure your squeak, as we said we have had all the belts ff an run it and it still squeals so cannot be the belts/ water pump on our car, while it was squealing we put a long tube on an oil can and managed to drip some oil around the base of the sensor which stopped it straight away but this only lasts fro approx 2 weeks or until it dries out again so this aint a long term cure its just better on the ears :)
regards jayem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm very curious to see how you come out with the cam sensor replacement. I think that I have the same problem. Only difference is that mine is a '95 with the pushrod V6. I noticed a note on one of the previous posts that the upper intake must be removed to access it on a pushrod engine. I've used a mechanic's stethescope and determined that the noise is coming from that area, but I just can't find the darned thing. Any advice is appreciated.

Back