Stripe (again) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stripe (again)

Stripe
Bandit #13

This Explorer started out life as a 93 Limited from Oklahoma. He was purchased by Russell ( @NICE59FORDF100 ) through a very arduous process with the owner and brought to Texas. Once there, as the A4LD was beyond redemption, he and Kris decided to do a full manual drivetrain conversion, modify the front fenders, and throw on a set of BFG 31's. Stripe was then sold to a then "friend" who later had Kris put a 2" Superlift on, added the Duff shocks, and the Hella lights. It was during this period of ownership that I believe he had his engine hydrolocked, bending the crank.

Unfortunately, Stripe was later stolen and wound up once again in Oklahoma, abandoned by both the thief and the owner in an impound lot, racking up fees. When the owner could not pay the fees, he offered to give Stripe back to Russell in exchange for paying off the impound lot. Stripe was brought back to Texas again, however he was a shadow of his former self.

He was resold again about 3 years ago to another good friend who treated him well, but during an off road excursion Stripe got caught on a submerged log, damaging the passenger side doors and custom fender. Also, during this time Stripe was apparently going through clutches and starters every few months as the bent crank became an ongoing issue.

Stripe was traded back to Kris and Russell a little over a year ago in exchange for another Explorer for the owner's wife. And thus he was moved into the "field of dreams", the backlot of Bandit Customs, where unfinished projects and parts vehicles are stored; an ironic place to house those Explorer's who have been dreamed of and those who will never dream again. But Stripe was in limbo here, his fate undecided. He was in rough shape, beaten, battered, and broken. It was very unlikely that he would ever have a home again, his needs significantly outweighing his value...

...but this was not the case to me.

Ever since I saw Stripe years ago, I wanted him. He was unique and had the characteristic charm of the first generation Explorer. However, funds never became available at the right time and thus I watched him pass from owner to owner over the years.

Last year Russell and Kris called me one day and asked if I wanted him. (they had previously offered me another Explorer in exchange for some work I had been doing for them). I was flabbergasted and never said "yes" faster in my life. Thus I became the third owner of the lucky #13 Bandit and started a labor of love that will hopefully last for years to come...

When I got him:

Stripe.PNG

2 Months later:

IMG_20190127_113646.jpg

IMG_20190127_113441.jpg

Specs:
(Updated 4/20/20)

93 Limited
4.0 OHV
M5OD
1354M
Manual Hubs
Sun Roof
3.73's

Tires:
33x12.50R15 Hankook Dynapro ATM's

Sound:
Kenwood KMM-BT322U digital media receiver with Sat Radio and Bluetooth
Pioneer TS-A682F 4-Way coaxial speakers

Lights:
Hella off road lights
Navajo tail lights
Clear headlights with 35W 6000k LED's

Interior:
LED conversion
2nd Gen Limited Leather heated seats

Lift/Suspension:
2" Skyjacker lift
James Duff 70/30 Shocks

Body:
Front fenders trimmed 2"
Passenger side beauty marks
Decorative rust pattern on doglegs
Lovingly weathered Oxford White paint
Reese Roof Rack

Engine:
Valvoline 10w-30 Synthetic Blend
FL-1A Motorcraft oil filter

Parts Replaced:
130A Alternator
Front Calipers
Front Brake Pads
Belt
Tensioner and Idler Pulleys
Rear window motor bushings
Steering Shaft Rag Joint
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Steering Gearbox (Replaced again 9/19)
Tires
Water pump
Radiator
Fuel Pump and sending unit
Heater hose
Upper and lower intake gaskets
Valve cover gaskets
Auto to Manual computer
Heater core
Fuel pump and sender

Future Mods:
8.8 Disc Swap
Super Secret Upgrade
Regear to 4.10's
Throw in my Spartan Locker
1" Body lift
Short throw shifter
New headliner
Winch (don't quite know where to mount it...yet)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice read and follow-up on the history of this truck! Keep it running!

Reactions: MrQ

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Haven't really updated this in a bit, mostly due to just driving the crap out of it. I have put over a 1000 miles on Stripe so far and there are still a couple issues to be addressed.

I am pretty sure that the synchros are starting to go on 2nd and 3rd gear as I really have to put some muscle behind it sometimes to get it in gear. It'll work fine one minute and then on the next shift it decides it wants to be difficult.

He is also using coolant at an alarming rate and the smell gets really strong in the cabin with the A/C on, but is not overheating I have bought a new heater core as I believe that is where the leak is, but I have my doubts. I have already replaced the lower intake gaskets to no effect.

And the steering has loosened up quite a bit. It is nearly as bad as it was before the gearbox swap. I think I need to adjust gearbox and he needs another alignment.

I still can't get a gear that gets my speedometer accurate. The 16 tooth is correct up till about 50 mph, then it reads high. The 17 tooth reads low up till 45-ish and then it gets accurate. So far I am just living with it.

The auto dim rearview mirror has also gone bad. Whenever it gets power it goes dark. It's unplugged for now until I get a replacement.

The idle speed is also all over the place. Don't know what that's all about, might be the IAC.

Other than that Stripe is running perfect. Gotta love a first gen. :thumbsup:

On Saturday, I finally got to measure the correct bolt size for the 1" body lift. Per @Kris Guilbeaux the right bolt is the one right behind the passenger seat. It's long enough to use in all other 8 positions.

M12-1.75
Grade 9.8
120mm overall length
65mm thread length

The thing is you cannot get aftermarket metric bolts in a grade 9.8, at least not anywhere I have looked. So I am going with a 8.8 grade which is only slightly less strong than the 9.8. Bolt Depot has them for around $2 apiece. I am going to have to go with tap bolts (fully threaded), since the partially threaded ones do not have enough usable thread length. Those will get ordered Friday. The last step in the process is modifying the shifter. Current process is cutting and welding in a 1" extension, there are also 3" adapters out there, but they may be too tall for me.

My biggest issue is that my driving position and short-ass arms require me to pop 3rd and 5th into gear with my fingertips as I don't have the reach, so in the near future Stripe will be getting a short throw shifter (they should have just made them that way from the factory). The other upside to that is I can use my lower cup holder again. :laugh:

So I found out why my steering had loosened up again. Apparently the bolts had come loose holding the steering box to the frame rail. Dunno how that happened :dunno:. I also found out that my fix for the coolant loss, zip tying the overflow hose on the radiator, was insufficient since I was under the vehicle fixing the steering box when a nice big drop fell in my mouth... :censored:. After thoroughly enjoying my coolant mouthwash, I proceeded to hose clamp the sonofabitch. So far we are looking good.

So I found out why my steering had loosened up again. Apparently the bolts had come loose holding the steering box to the frame rail. Dunno how that happened :dunno:. I also found out that my fix for the coolant loss, zip tying the overflow hose on the radiator, was insufficient since I was under the vehicle fixing the steering box when a nice big drop fell in my mouth... :censored:. After thoroughly enjoying my coolant mouthwash, I proceeded to hose clamp the sonofabitch. So far we are looking good.

Dan, don't be a wimp I keep a bottle of 50/50 pre-mix on my bathroom counter as my regular mouthwash. This is just stripes way of saying he loves you.

And the remanufactured steering gearbox just blew out the output shaft seal :banghead:. Fortunately it has a lifetime warranty, so it's a free replacement, but that's another 2 hours of my life gone to replace it. Thanks O-Reilly's.:rant:

Finally replaced the gearbox, found out driving without power steering and muscling 33's around can really build up your biceps and shoulders, haha. I also have to replace the radius arm bushings and the coil spring isolators. Front end is really clunking.

Sounds like by the time you are done you will have a brand new Explorer. Did you get the Body mount on your Ex yet? I have not gotten mine on yet But did install an Add a leaf in the rear. BUT bad I lost my fuel pump.

Last weekend I was at Bandit Customs exchanging some sweat for Explorer parts, I managed to finally fix the clunking issue in the steering wheel (steering damper behind the horn broke off and was flapping around during bumps) and why I didn't have a high speed function for my wipers (one of the wires for the multi function switch had come out of the connector). I also replaced my broken air vent and ash tray.

The biggest change was that I finally got one of the rusty doglegs fixed. I had bought the replacement doglegs earlier this year, but I was waiting for BC's resident welder to help me get them on. Fortunately, since he was over doing some work for the guys, he spared some time to get the passenger side done.

Unfortunately the doglegs I bought were slightly oversize since I believe they were made to go over the old dog leg, not replace it. This required some finessing by the welder to make it look better. :hammer:

Before:
received_2283073775155608.jpeg

After:
received_1585190544939199.jpeg

The camera really doesn't do it justice.

I just hit it with white primer for now, It still needs to be sealed at the joints and then I'll throw on some Oxford white to match. Next time I'm up there he will do the opposite side.

It definitely looks a lot better.than the rot that was there. :bounce:

did you knock the rot out first? Not clear in the pics
Steering damper behind the horn? What the heck part is that? This thing had a damper on the front?
Im trying in my brain to figure out what part was flopping around in there? Somebody added aftermarket damper?

did you knock the rot out first? Not clear in the pics
Steering damper behind the horn? What the heck part is that? This thing had a damper on the front?
Im trying in my brain to figure out what part was flopping around in there? Somebody added aftermarket damper?

We broke off and dug out quite a bit of rotted metal and dirt then we used the rust dissolver before painting so we shouldn't see that come back.

As for the steering damper, it is factory; basically it's a piece of cast steel that sits behind the horn on the steering wheel bracket and it's held on with three rubber isolators. Two of the isolators had broken, so this steel piece was flopping against the bracket any time there was vibration in the steering wheel. I'll take a pic of it when I get the chance. It may have been a Limited only option because I checked out both a 94 and a 92 BC parts vehicle and neither of them had one. :dunno:

Yes interesting I have never seen that or if I have I have forgotten!! the Gen I limiteds are wicked cool, I have always really liked the seats and the looks

Yes interesting I have never seen that or if I have I have forgotten!! the Gen I limiteds are wicked cool, I have always really liked the seats and the looks

Somebody told me you aren't really an Explorer enthusiast unless you have owned a first gen:

They clunk, creak, jingle, groan, and squeak. They are painfully slow, the ride is rough, the steering is vague, they are noisy and not very comfortable, the shifter throw blocks the cupholders, the gauges get stuck, the speedometer bounces, the rear springs sag, and a passable alignment requires a human sacrifice to the Ford gods.

They suck gas, drink oil, eat fuel pumps, blow headgaskets, crap transmissions, and fart exhaust out anywhere but the tail pipe.

They are cantankerous, fussy, picky, needy, moody, and possessive ....which, come to think of it, is probably why we call them "Ex's".

Then, every time you work on it you will expand your expletive vocabulary, spend more money than you ever thought possible, and expend more effort on it than it will ever deserve. Blood, sweat, tears, and zipties are all that holds these things together and every day it will demand more.

Soooo, why in the world would anyone ever buy one??

Just look at it! The design is classic, the lines are beautiful, and it just begs you to love it. Everyday you get in it you will smile and enjoy it even more. And then at some point you will realize it's worth every bit of frustration, every headache, every lost paycheck, and every blown head gasket.

THAT is owning a first gen....

try driving a 88 BII :)
Before there was the gen I explorer there was the bronco II
It has all those issues and then some, even more anemic!
But the looks are classic and the way it gets into tight spots...I can do a U turn in a lane and a half it is so much fun to drive a 300 hp BII on 35's and the journey to get here had me in love with the little bronco despite all the haters.....that just makes it even more fun!

My blower motor knob broke, so until I get another one I'm stuck changing the speed with needle nose pliers. :rant:

For a while a now, I have been getting a sweet noxious smell every now and then from Stripe while idling. :fart:

It always came from the driver's side and at first I thought it was coolant, but there was never any leaks. Then yesterday on my way home, Stripe died at a stop sign for no reason. Took me a while to get him started again, much to the chagrin of the impatient driver behind me.

Once I got home I noticed that smell again and I finally tracked it down to my vapor canister. After doing some research I believe I have a bad purge solenoid and/or a clogged charcoal canister. I think the reason Stripe died was because the solenoid stuck open and dumped a ton of fuel vapor into the engine. I have also been experiencing a lot of pressure coming out of the gas tank when filling up and sometimes the pressure builds up to the point it shuts of the pump prematurely. These symptoms also seem to indicate a fuel vapor issue. So I am going to change the solenoid out and see if that fixes the problem. If not I am going to have to find a replacement canister.

canister purge solenoids go out and when they do you will smell raw fuel, especially after stopping at a light. Having pressure in your tank is a good indicator that the canister purge valve is gone haywire

Replaced the purge valve and all seems well, but I still think I have an exhaust leak somewhere...

I put a "new" knob on the fan controller and now I think the contacts inside are broken since I have to fiddle with the knob quite a bit to get the blower to switch to a new setting or come on at all. Gonna need to pull it and take a look. Really need it now since Frosty the snow blizzard decided to move Texas to the Arctic Circle. :crazy:

My blower is officially stuck on full blast, I can't turn it off anymore.

Now I wonder if its the blower motor resistor instead of the control that's bad. :dunno:

Looks like I also need to reseal the quarter panel windows as well, during a heavy rain I'm getting water in the cargo area. I also need to put new rockers and pushrods in the engine, it's getting really clackity on startup.

Back