• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Torsion Bar ?

studd469

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited
how do you remove the torsion bar from the lower control arm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should come out if you remove the bolt and torsion bar nut. Slide the torsion bar into the control arm to remove the adjuster key then it should slide out of the control arm.

Thanks for the reply TerryS1980, so if the bar doesnt move then its probably seized. Can it be pushed out of the control arm from the front of the truck?

I would try some wd-40 or something like that and use a big wrench to try and work it loose. If that doesnt work then maybe you could hit it from the front with a solid round bar and a big hammer.

Thanks for the reply TerryS1980, so if the bar doesnt move then its probably seized. Can it be pushed out of the control arm from the front of the truck?

The torsion bar will not come out the front. After you have taken off the adjuster, take a socket extension and a hammer and bang the thing out a bit. it will come out the rear.

K I get what your saying Ray. Thanks I'll give it a shot in a few weeks when I'm off work.

The torsion bar will not come out the front. After you have taken off the adjuster, take a socket extension and a hammer and bang the thing out a bit. it will come out the rear.

LOL, the funny thing is that's exactly what I used to get mine out. Thought I'd be the only one grabbing the extension and not something else.

LOL, the funny thing is that's exactly what I used to get mine out. Thought I'd be the only one grabbing the extension and not something else.

lol same here. By the way, have you gotten your superlift yet Ammo?:p:

nice....God, I'm so jealous. I'm selling my explorer to get a little honda ruckus.

Back