• Register Today It's free!

Sturdy Build Quality

bamacommander

Reaction score
City, State
FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT FORD EXPLORER
I am a bit of a nut, in that I like to crawl under my car and study how it is built. I did this with my EX. Let me start with this is the first unibody car that I have ever owned, so it is a bit different looking underneath and not seeing a separate frame. So far the car has been whisper quiet. I was looking at how the front seats were bolted in and was amazed to see a steel bar being used to anchor them to the car. The front suspension has an interesting heavy duty configuration. The car tracks very nicely and has plenty of pick up. So far I have very impressed with the solid feel and secure handling. I know there have been issues with the MFT, but it looks like mine is fixed. What does anyone else think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our car has been solid through its first 1100 miles, so no factory goof ups that we can detect. Time will judge how the Ghost ages :) We are very happy so far, and look forward to some road trips this summer.

MFT seems to be working well, and its training of us is progressing at a rapid pace, lol.

We had a system maintenance screen this morning after we arrived at our destination having used the Nav to get to the museum. It worked flawlessly getting us there. I had backed the car into the parking spot, and upon exiting the vehicle, realized I could have done a bit better, so I hopped in to move the car. When I started it, the maint. screen came up, but the backup camera still worked so no biggie. Just finished parking and locked the car letting MFT do what it needed to do. No other issues for the rest of the day other than it having to rebuild the voice commands for the USB.

Coming from a failing 2005 Freestar, I can say that I'm very pleased with how comfortable this ride is (even in the leather seats :p). Super quiet yet easy to tell when the RPM gets to 2000 once you've done it a while. My husband comments often how quiet it is from the *outside* of the vehicle when it's running. The only off-roading this truck will do will be parking on the grass at my crossing-guard post - but it does fine.

We're looking forward to a trip to NC this summer (mom lives there) and the comfort that we're sure it will bring.

MFT - I know I don't use it to it's full capacity - but when I do, it's been reliable and accurate. Once I get the new phone it will be another learning curve so I'm not diving into that part of it too heavy yet.

I have also been happy overall with the build quality. My 2011 Ex has run smoothly and my only issues have been MFT related and a few minor dashboard alignment and trim issues that I assume are related to it being the first model year. As for MFT, it finally works well for me (which is why I basically stopped posting and checking here as often). After the big update, there are still some minor bugs but the system as a whole is very usable (USB audio is still buggy but bluetooth audio works so I just use bluetooth).

After I take care of my minor issues (trim and dashboard) and the transmission TSB (will be my first trip to the dealer which I will only be doing because of the recall/ other issues not big enough for me to make the trip), things will be great. Now I just need to find the post about the extended service plan/warranty as I plan on keeping the car for a long time.

...The front suspension has an interesting heavy duty configuration. The car tracks very nicely and has plenty of pick up. So far I have very impressed with the solid feel and secure handling...
It’s awesome that you love your new ride, bamacommander! :D

...Time will judge how the Ghost ages :) We are very happy so far, and look forward to some road trips this summer.

MFT seems to be working well, and its training of us is progressing at a rapid pace, lol.
VinceL,

Hopefully you’ll be well “trained” in time for your summer traveling! ;)

...I can say that I'm very pleased with how comfortable this ride is (even in the leather seats :p). Super quiet yet easy to tell when the RPM gets to 2000 once you've done it a while. My husband comments often how quiet it is from the *outside* of the vehicle when it's running...We're looking forward to a trip to NC this summer (mom lives there) and the comfort that we're sure it will bring...
That’s going to make for a great trip, FordMomof3! :)

I have also been happy overall with the build quality...After I take care of my minor issues (trim and dashboard) and the transmission TSB (will be my first trip to the dealer which I will only be doing because of the recall/ other issues not big enough for me to make the trip), things will be great...
Rocketfan,

I’m confident your dealer will take care of you. :thumbsup:

Cory

I too, have been underneath the X several times. Each time I see more details of the build and assembly that gets my attention, in a positive way. Lots of noise and heat diversions, tight tolerance engineering, and after 10k miles a joy to drive.

Whenever a bunch of us go out to eat, I always drive. We've put 6 adults in the X with no problem at all for headroom and comfort. Egress is a little tenuous, but gives me an excuse to play touchy-feely with the women when they get out ...(wink)

Question, I just got my Explorer last week and notice that there is no undercoating. Why is that? My wife's hyundai veracruz has it.

The new anti corrosion primers and paint don't require the extra weight of rubberized undercoating. Thats kinda old school. If you check out the Explorer its got a lot of plastic where the undercoating used to go.

Having worked in Ohio auto dealers service departments for 38 years (mostly as service mgr.) I have spent some time under vehicles. The undercarriage of the 2013 Explorer was one of the selling points for me. It looks to be very well engineered IMHO.

Regarding the undercoating, time has shown me that it should only be applied where the abrasive splash from tires hits the vehicle. Since the cars now tend to have composite wheel house liners you're better off with NO undercoating, esp. on a uni-body based vehicle. That is because no undercoating can stop moisture (and salt for latitude challenged vehicles) from getting into panel joints and crevices and being held there by the undercoating. Better off with the excellent coating applied by immersion at the time the body in white was sent to the paint process.

Back