• Register Today It's free!

Sub box time... questions as well

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
It's that time again... Now that I have my amp I need to get my new box built and be ready for the second sub. I'm using rocket's basic design found here as a base, but need to do some alterations to it due to my needs.

Firstly, it's for 2 12s, not a 15. His is a somewhat more complicated setup in that the main portion of it is a "mask", and the actual box is just a little box inside of it. Unfortunately, I need more airspace for my 2 subs so they can be ported. Outside of that, I'm not putting in the neon holes, and I'm gonna be painting it.

My plan as of now is to make an exact mold of the wheel well spaces by taping them off then fiberglassing them. These pieces will then be affixed to the box, which will have just simple easy 90degree cuts in place.

The whole box is going to be primered a few times, then sanded, then painted. I don't want a suber glossy black, so I'll probably just go with-semi gloss to match the rest of the colors int he truck more. All the joints on the inside are going to be fiberglassed sealed.

So the main questions I have for the gurus, would it be better to go with a slot port, or a circular port, and how do I tune it? The bandpass box I have now gets horrible air noises.

And how off will having 1 new sub and 1 slightly used sub be? I've heard that since they're broken in to different levels they will sound awful, but wasn't sure.

Also, I plan on putting a piece in the middle to seal them off from each other. Is this a good idea, worth it, or a horrible idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only answer the last question...since i've never built a ported box.

Certainly on sealed boxes its best to seal the two subs off from one another. Why? Because otherwise they are basically both treating the air space as double what they both need. Its best to give them their own sections. Ported is a bit different though since they are not air tight enclosures. I believe that I read somewhere that ported usually weren't seperated. I think its because of how large of an airspace requirement they need, so you just build it to have the volume one sub would require, then just drill 2 holes.... I'm sure someone else will comment too, but thats what I remember reading when I was doing some research for my own system a while back.

and btw, i didn't see any sub box plans on that link :)

Fixed the link. Starts with pictures then later on he posts the plans.

If that's the case with what you said, then I'm going to seal them off from each other for sure. The box's interior dimensions are right abot double what 1 sub needs, thus perfect for 2.

i've run into another problem. The little battery terminal clamp won't shut tightly around the terminal with the 4 gauge ring terminal in it. Normally I'd just grab one of the Battery terminals we have at Best Buy and be set, but for some reason it looks like Ford has put 2 4-gauge wires off the battery, bringing my grand total to 3. Our stuff only has 2, as most clamps have. I don't really know what to do here. I've been looking around for another battery terminal or something, but to no avail. I'm getting close to just getting one of the terminals from work and shoving as much wire into it as possible(the wires from Ford almost look like 8 gauge...)

I ended up with a 'o' type connector that crimped the wire on one and, and had a whole on the other. I put it around the screw holding the terminal to the battery pole, and it works fine.

I'm a moron. The wires are 8 gauge. I need to pay more attention to details. THose are both getting smashed into one 4 Gauge terminal.

Update time:

Box is built, ended up being changed around some to fit in with Alpine's recommended specs, and I decided to fiberglass the sides to the rear(someday). Currently it's only holding the 1 Type-R and it pounds. Also dims the lights when sitting still. On Friday I'll be getting my cap and the other Type-R.

I might carpet the box, I'm not sure yet. For now it's staying bare mdf.

And the box only weighs about 10,000 pounds with one sub. I about killed myself taking it down the 3 flights of stairs.

Back