Sudden low idle after IAC cleaning... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sudden low idle after IAC cleaning...

sferrojr

Reaction score
I have a '96 with the OHV. Last night I cleaned MAF and IAC. Test started after each procedure and everything sounded fine. Was idling smooth at glass right around 1000. This morning finally got to take it out on the road, again started fine and was running smooth at speed and at idle. I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden the idle jumped down like someone hit a switch. Now it idles down under 500 and periodically shudders, almost sound like it's on the verge of stall. Could I have damaged something in the IAC? I had the battery disconnected for a few hours while I was working on it, could some calibration be off?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure everything is still plugged in (IAC and MAF). Sounds like the IAC is not working. Next time you get it running let it idle and go out and unplug the IAC connector, the idle should die down pretty good, if not it isn't working.

No change if I unplug it. Guess that's it. Any way to save it, or is time for a trip to the parts store?

probably time to get one, did your check engine light come on?

CEL popped on while I was driving to the parts store. Picked up a new IAC and ten minutes later all was well again. Cleared the CEL (IAC code) took it for a spin and the idle is back around 1000 and smooth as glass again. thanks for the quick help!

no prob., glad you got out easy with a simple fix

Back