Suggestions about new wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions about new wheels?

Hi guys:
I just back home before get the tires of my 1992 XLT 4x4 balanced. My X is mostly stock, so I have the original wheels.
Well, the bad news was that two of the wheels are deformed and is very difficult to do the balance job.

Is possible repair an alloy wheel?

If not, some suggestion to get a new ones?

My tires are 275/15 R75 Good Year Wrangler

Thanks for the advices and suggestions :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your rims get seriously chewed or did you hit a curb? Please explain the dammage, a pic would help.

Stock allows will be expensive. About $100.00 a rim here in Alaska. Get a better pair of rims before droping loads of $$$ into stock rims. Unless you really like the look then knock yourself out!!

275/75/15 is about 31.2" x 10.8". Is that what you have?

Anyway, you could always get some inexpensive steel rims like mine. They're about $40 here in the states and are almost indestructible. If something does happen to them, steel is a lot easier to repair than aluminum, and they're only $40 to begin with.

If your stock rims are semi-seriously damaged don't try to repair them.

These are what the cheapo black rims look like:
Dead Link Removed

Alec

Right on point!!

thanks guys.
Well the guy at the tire shop told me that the two defective rims are slightly twisted, so the balance machine ask for heavy wheights to rebalance.

According to this guy, put a lot of wheighs in the rim is dangerous, because they can be lost at high speed and the X can rollover. Is that true? I don't think so.

A fiend of mine told that in some shops put the alloy rims in an hydraulic machine and press the rims to straighten them.

I don´t like the steel rims, so I ask you for suggestions about a aftermarket alloy rims.

The stock ally rims in the 92 XLT 4x4 are 15 inches of diameter and 7,5 inches wide, I'm right?

Thats because the tires are 275/15 SR 75

still
:confused: :confused:

If you have a stock '92 Explorer then you ahould have 235x75/15's. That is the stock tire size. Unless it is a unusual brand or something? A 275 tire would be very wide, too wide for the stock rim. And 15x7 is the stock rim size.

Check out either of these...

my truck with black mods and 31's...
14852jerseyx-after.jpg

black mods run for about $45.00 a piece with out lug nuts or center caps... i bought them from summit racing... www.summitracing.com

mdlrvenom

Those rims and paint match very nicely! Looks good! Did the tires fit w/ the stock suspension or did you do any lift?

FYI: andypinto this is what your's will look like with his set-up!

nak4af

no lift, not yet i have the 3" body lift sitting in the house but its crazy cold here in Jersey... so i'll have to wait

You can use my garage, even my new compressor and air tools!

BTW! andypinto...did you catch that? 31's with no lift on a '92 XLT!!!

thanx nak

thanx nak.. wish i could take u up on the offer... lol:D

I was waiting to see if you would catch that!

It's not what you know, but who you know and how far away you live from them...RIGHT!

HE HE :D

so true... so true... hey couldn't help but notice your running 32's with maybe about 1"-1.5" of lift from the shackles and coil spacers is this so... any rubbing?

It's true!

I have no rub. At first the rear tires would scrub under full stuff but I got some 5/16" spacers for the back tires and I now have no problems ($17.50). When I get my 4" lift I will get some 15x8 offset rims and probably keep the 32's since there somewhat new.

nice you have any pics of the rig?

ps- check out my homepage for before and after of my truck.

Nice pics! My wife would love your dog!

As for me having pics, lots of them! But no digital ones. I may take some to Wal-Mart and have some put on a disc to post. I don't have a digital camera yet, YET!! I want to do a write-up on my truck and set it as my home page. I don't know how to do this just yet. Stay tuned, pics will come!

BTW, thanks for the kind works about my EX!

How mush rub did you have before u got the lift with the 31's

Chase

chase,

no rub, only at full lock and it is minimal.. i have no yet put the lift on... the truck is bone stock except for wheels and rims...

hey nak, make sure you send me some of those pics when u get them i can't wait to see what your truck looks like running 32's...
also how much did the shackles and coil spacers run you and where did u get them... (online store or around town automotive shop?)

Hi guys, I'm back.
Yeah, dumb of me, the correct size of my tires are 235x75/15
Well, about 31s. and over in a stock Ex, without lifting, I'm not pretty sure.
I heard a lot of contradictorial opinions about to mod the original size of the tires, because the truck was designed with specific tire size in mind.
In fact, Ford not recommend such mod.
Some people say that increase the size of the tires do damages the tranny, and the speed indicator and the odometer gives wrong lectures. Also, big tires that those intended for the truck rubs in close turns and put extra forces in the suspension components.
In addition, I believe that put 31's in a stock Ex, without lifting, modification of the sway bars, and so on, is dangerous, because higher tires raises the gravity center of the truck, and increases the risk of a rollover in a sharp turn at high speed.

So, I try to find a nice set of alloy rims that fit in my Ex's stock tires.

Thanks anyway for the advices and comments.
:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pinto

unless your driving your truck like its not inteded to be driven then you wont have a problem with 31's... i still drive on the highway at about 60-65mph...
however it doesn't sound like you want to go big i think you might want to check out the sport truck thread i think the guys over there could help you out more than we lifted guys could...

anthony

Back