Supercharger woes continue: sigh :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger woes continue: sigh :(

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
In a nutshell....

My Powerdyne died and I had it sent to 928 Motorsports for rebuild:

*Sent it out in 2/07 for a rebuild, they replaced the bearings/belt, shimmed and vented the unit received it back and it died a few days later

*Sent it out again and they replaced the bearings again, got it back and a few days later it seized up leaving me stranded.

*Sent it out again, upon further inspection (or first real inspection?) found that the impeller shaft was out of tolerance...replaced the shaft and bearings again and received it back...after a few days the unit failed. Makes very loud noises.

*Sent it out again they replaced 2 of the bearings, received it back, worked for about 50 miles then became loud again (very loud..to the point that I have to shut the vehicle off when in a drive thru!!)

928 Motorsports refuses to do anything and also never responded to the BBB.
Working on getting credit through my bank for the money I spent.
(Between the rebuild, impeller shaft, and overnight shipping I am around $1500!!!!)

PART 2:
Bought a used head unit off of eBay, but I am reluctant to use it as although it appears to be mechanically functional, the impeller has hit the casing at one time. Awaiting word from seller as to the history of the unit. It may have failed and have been rebuilt.

.....just venting I guess

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stop screwing around and being cheap. Just sell that POS BD-11 unit and go with the XB-1A instead. Sometimes the "more expensive way" ends up being the cheapest and easiest in the long term. Good luck.

I will most likely go with the gear driven as soon as Powerdyne decides to start making them, right now they are months before even making the BD-11's, and word is they are not sure they are even going to make the gear driven one.

:(

I will most likely go with the gear driven as soon as Powerdyne decides to start making them, right now they are months before even making the BD-11's, and word is they are not sure they are even going to make the gear driven one.

:(

Buy a used one. :D

I would consider a used one, but they are very hard to come by.

I did install the one from e-bay, after inspecting it further, it appears that it had failed and was rebuilt. (fingers crossed that it will bring miles of reliable service)

Now my Mountaineer runs nice and quiet with a nice whine.... :)

I would consider a used one, but they are very hard to come by.

I did install the one from e-bay, after inspecting it further, it appears that it had failed and was rebuilt. (fingers crossed that it will bring miles of reliable service)

Now my Mountaineer runs nice and quiet with a nice whine.... :)

It will be difficult to find a used XB-1A but it will be worth it in the end. I seen a fella on Corral.net selling an entire XB-1A kit for about $1,800 or so not long ago. Just got to look.

damn sorry to hear about your luck.

id miss the whine if mine broke... **knock on wood*

What about a turbo?

Back