suspension questions, PLEASE HELP!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suspension questions, PLEASE HELP!!!!

v897xlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT AWD v8 5.o
ok, so my shocks are currently bad. but when i replace them im goin to go ahead and do a TT lift in the front. BUt i dont know wht todo for the back, should i get new shackles? or should i get a add a leaf for the back? and from seeing a few things on leaf springs,, if i do a add a leaf do will getting a longer shock be good? would having the 2 inch longer shocks hurt ne thing to begin with for replacing? i just need some opinions, i kno how todo the stuff but,just dont know wht would be best, the rear suspension is a lil soft, but i dont kno if the add a leaf wold help, or just new shocks n the back would fix that. just wounderin bout the 2" longer shocks, there the same price as regulars, so would it hurt to get them? would i get a lil more travel when goin off roading / muddin? thanks n advanced!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can ne one help please?

I have a 99 mounty with 5.0. I went with Pro Comp AALs and Warrior Shackles after putting in Rancho 9000s. My rear was sagging a bit, and after the lifting the butt end all I needed was about 1/2" TT on the front to level it out.

I have a 99 mounty with 5.0. I went with Pro Comp AALs and Warrior Shackles after putting in Rancho 9000s. My rear was sagging a bit, and after the lifting the butt end all I needed was about 1/2" TT on the front to level it out.

ight thanks, iam tight on money, did u get the standerd shock size or longer? thanks

I went with standard - no issues at all

here is a link for decent price on shocks:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/...ancho+shocks&gclid=CIrBl_C9qqMCFRMeDQodL1er3Q

here is a link for the AALs

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-13120/

If your going to do a AAL - keep in mind you may (probably will) need new bushings for your leafs, I had to order mine through a local distributor as Ford, Autozone, Advance auto parts where unable to locate any. Cost me about $20 w tax.

cool thanks!! how hard is it with the AAL? i kno the shackles r simple to put on but is the AAL hard at all?

well guy, I took the easy way out. I had Midas do both the AAL and shackles, with an alignment it was $225. I needed an alignment before going out of town for work.. and I didn't have enough time to jack around with it. There are a lot of threads here with photos so you can judge for yourself.

ight, thanks!

The Warrior shackles were reasonably priced when i got them a few yrs ago and they are very well built.

do you think the rancho 5000 will be fine? no way in hell i can afford them 9000

oops, I have 5000s not 9000s.. sorry about that LOL they work good for me

oops, I have 5000s not 9000s.. sorry about that LOL they work good for me

are they stiff? we had them on are 90 f150 and it jared the hell out of us... does it hurt when u hit a speed bump? and have u used them with any off roading? thanks again!

Back