Swap 92 axle for 97+ ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap 92 axle for 97+ ???

I want to swap the rear axle on my 92 and get rid of the drums in favor of a newer model that has disc brakes on it. I don't really need to do this just wanna do it for the heck of it.

For those who have done this, what year of axles will fit and roughly how much did the conversion cost? I've read in some other posts that a 97 and 98 axle will work, are there any others?

FYI, the suspension and brakes and everything else on my rear axle is stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

then use the search function type in Disc rear axle. I did this a couple months ago and I have a thread that answers anything that may have been unclear in that article

On my conversion I used my axles and my diff housing and just bolted everything on with no problem. I used two right hand caliper hoses, it worked well enough for me.

What's the first year with rear discs? 97?

i got discs. and a ls 3.73 in a 96. so i have that going for me. and a 96 axle would work for you as well.

Rear discs came standard on the Explorer in 95. Any 95+ axle will work.

Gee I never read my post, not very informative. I used '99 Explorer rear disc brakes on my '91 Explorer and still used my axles. Any year will fit your rear diff from '96 to '01. All of the rear brakes are the same no matter the truck style. One problem I don't like about the set-up is the e-brake. It doesn't seen to hold as well as my original e-brake did.

So Speedfreak, you just swapped the rear drums for disc but didn't touch the axle right?

Well I did have to pull the axles out of the diff to put the mount brakets on, but the axles and housing are still my original. There was no difference with my axles from '95 and up axles.

If you are going to do the swap yourself, I have one caution. There is a bolt that holds the cross shaft in place that in turn keeps the c-clips locked on to the axle. This bolt is perma-locked into place and can break if not removed properly, a good way is to heat the carrier alittle with a torch. Don't heat it red hot though because that will change the metals heat treating and cause problems later. Heat just enough the free the bolt.

OK, so I've spent the last month looking for a suitable axle and decided that if I'm gonna replace the axle I may as well get one that has a limited slip in it already. I have only been able to find one axle that meets my criteria, its from a 98 Explorer with 3.73 LS and only has 3000km (1900mi) on it. They want $800 for it at a wreckers. If I do get it what are the disadvantages to having a LS in the rear end? Quicker wear, expensive maintenance, etc?

The limited slip will not require any extra maintence or cause any wear. It only requires the friction additive from your local Ford dealer. Bolt in the diff and away you go.

If it is coming out of a wreck check the axles for straightness. A simple spin will show you if their bent or not.

By the way that is a great price for such a low k diff. In my area their about $950 to $1250.

Back