• Register Today It's free!

Swapping 01 V8 into 2000 V6

CypherSTL

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I was able to get my hands on a 2001 XLT with a V8 in an effort to replace my blown 4.0L SOHC on my 2000 XLT.

I know I have to use the PCM, Engine Bay Harness, V8 Intake, Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, and maybe the complete exhaust setup.

With swapping over the PCM, will I need to also swap over the GEM Module for the Ignition system? Or would the 2000 V6 Ignition setup still completely work on a V8?

I've read on a few sites that I will also have to swap over the entire driveshaft, is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start with Eric's thread, it will help you to get going.
Eric's 5.0 swap into 99 Sport thread - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174211

The GEM has nothing to do with the engine, but it does have transfer case functions in it. Thus the only reason you could need to swap the GEM is if you have 4WD with the V6. All V8's take the identical GEM as the 2WD V6 Explorers. Thus there are only two GEM's for each model year, the 4WD V6 GEM, and everything else.

To swap from a 4WD V6 to the V8(2WD or AWD), change the GEM, and remove the two transfer case electronic modules(4WD, TOD(in dash)).

You need all of the front dress, with the V8 radiator, and the exhaust back past the cats. The driveshafts are different for the V8's.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The current keys on the V6 would not work after the GEM Module is swapped?

The X now is V6 4WD going to the V8 AWD.

The keys are another story, yes you need to make a decision about keys etc.

If you had all of the donor key cylinders, plus two keys, I would swap all of those. Then you would need no help from Ford or a special locksmith. The PCM and PATS module have to match, so you could swap them all and it would start.

Most swaps like that will have something missing, only one key, a missing door or ignition etc. If you don't have everything, often it's simpler to keep your old keys and cylinders, the PATS, and plan the trip to have it all reprogrammed to work with the new PCM.

From this "The X now is V6 4WD going to the V8 AWD", you will need a 2WD or AWD GEM module from a 98-01 truck.

PATS Module = Ignition?

The PATS is the passive anti theft system, it monitors the keys, the PCM, the keyless entry. The PATS and PCM both have to be programmed to accept each other. They all have identification in them, serial numbers if you will. Upon first installation, they are programmed to recognize each other, and the first key(s).

If you swap any of them without reprogramming, the PATS will stop the engine from starting. They all do that on each turn of the key. When you turn on the key, the "THEFT" light comes on, and the PATS reads the key code and decides whether everything is right. If everything passes, the light stays on until the engine starts. If something fails the check, the light begins to flash, and the engine won't start then.

From reading the "All you need to know about PATS", The two explorers I have both have a Stand-Alone PATS Module, which from what I can gather is located inside the steering column.

That is the module I would have to swap over, correct?

First decide which keys etc. are best to use. If you don't have two known good keys with the donor truck, stay with your keys, and PATS, and key cylinders. The cylinders in the three doors, and the ignition, they are not easy to swap. Nor is the PATS module, which is in the left rear quarter panel(it has the keyless entry code on it).

If you did have the complete set of those parts from the donor, you could swap all of those parts and not need any programming of the PATS. But that is a very rare case, as I said before.

Chances are you don't have two known good keys, or some of the rest doesn't come with the donor. In those cases you will have to wipe the PATS module memory and reprogram it to work with the new PCM. So, do you have all of those parts and two donor keys?

I don't know, the difficulty of swapping all of those key cylinders alone would make me want to avoid that. I think it's much simpler to plan to get the truck to a service dealer to reprogram the PATS. They use a special diagnostic tool to first erase the codes in the PATS. Then they can add new key codes, or the new PCM.

Simply change just the PCM only, keep all your old keys, and the keyless entry code(PATS module). Find a way to get the truck to Ford with an appointment to reprogram the PATS for the new PCM.

When I bought my current Explorer off Craigslist, I only got the one key. I haven't picked up the donor yet, so I don't know how many keys are ith it.

I am using one of the doors off the Donor Explorer on mine.

I thought the computer module in the left rear quarter panel was the RAP Module?

Okay, you have a case in the middle, you could go either way. If you need to have PATS programming done anyway, but you don;t have to mess with one cylinder, you might swap the PATS also just to be able to drive it to start with.

I'm about 99% sure that the module in the LR is the PATS.

Everything that I can tell from reading, especially on the Keyless Entry threads, that the computer module that has the sticker that displays the Keyless Entry Code, etc, is the RAP?

From what I can gather they're not the same. I am having a hardtime online searching for where the PATS Module is located.

I had read long ago that it was in the dash somewhere. I had to use a different body harness, a 2000 model harness that came with a PATS module also as it was described. I chose not to use it with the different keyless entry code on it, it wouldn't work with my PCM.

I had my entire 99 apart to rebuild it, and the dash laying where I could work on the back of it. I didn't see anything that I thought could be the PATS in the dash. If it is somewhere else, I also haven't read of it on the forums.

In any case, keeping yours and reprogramming it to work with the new PCM is an option.

Attachments

• Projectthread062.JPG
    Projectthread062.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,533

Alright, after some more digging, I was able to find some type of article that mentions the location of the PATS Module.

According to what I can find, it is located behind the passenger air bag. Can anyone confirm?

pats_module.jpg

PATS module is definitely behind the passenger airbag. On the right side IIRC.

Excellent, good find. I'll look harder in my 99 work truck. I don't have the right airbag installed, that's a work apace for me. It may be just to the left, which is a tight section full of wires.

If I remember right the are 2 small bolts accessable thru the glove box opening that hold the airbag in. The whole thing slides right out and the module is right there. Always unhook the battery for about 10 min before messing with the airbags!

I changed all of the lock cylinders in my 2 door and it is a PITA! I chose to do it to save a few bucks and I had the extra time.

The ignition is the easiest to change, Turn the key to the run position and stick a small screw driver thru the hole in the bottom of the steering column, push up on the little ball and the key cylinder will slide right out.

I know that I've seen that before, but I never read the small print. It isn't obvious with the air bag out, it may be visible but it doesn't jump out at you. Maybe it's just above the airbag, I'll look tomorrow.

Back