• Register Today It's free!

Switching To Amsoil Synthetic

PA99XploderSport

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I am a proud owner of a 99 Explorer Sport that has 103,000 miles. I was planning on switching from traditional motor oil to amsoil synthetic. I was told that this might not be a good idea because the seals might end up leaking. Anyone have any issues with switching a high mileage vehicle over to synthetic oil???

Thank You,
Rich
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure this is a myth, I really dont see how synthetic oil can harm anything. I think since maybe the oil is thinner it can seep thru cracks? On my last truck I transfered over at 101k miles. On my new truck Ive had it since 50k miles (I use full syn Mobil 1)

I would do it if it were mine.

Its an old wives tale that synthetic oil causes leaks. If its leaking now ( with dino oil ), it will continue to leak with synthetic.

Good luck ....

comeon man, just do it....everyone is. You're not cool unless you do it

I would use mobil 1 tho (can be bought at wal mart or advance) cheaper and just as good as amsoil. Some will argue tho.... lol

Maybe it was cheaper gaskets or something else but years ago adding synthetic caused leaks where you never had leaks before.
Been down that road many times years ago but I can't say if they would leak now by adding synthetic or not. My oldest son and some friends of mine use synthetic but they have since new so no results from them.
I would have to say that if someone had multi vehicles and friends that put synthetic in high mileage vehicles then they would likely know. But having just one or two vehicles where they leaked or did not leak doesn't really give a true reflection on synthetics OR if many guys here had no problems with leaks or had problems that would surely show something.

I researched this oil leak issue a few years ago after a 1996 Contour 2.5L 24V DOHC I have started leaking from the crank seals when I switched it to Mobil 1 for the first time at 116K miles when I bought it from the company I worked for. This is about the only scenario where there can be a leak "caused" by synthetic oil: If the engine temp has spiked high, very high, during a big issue like a hose or water pump failure (which my Contour had), the dynamic seals can weaken somewhat and take a bit of a thermal "set" by hardening. The dino oil will tend to form a varnish that will basically fill in the resulting weak seal diameter. When you switch to synthetic, it's superior detergent properties will clean away the varnish deposits and then, due to the improved lubricity, it can form a small leak.

I switched back to the 5W-30 semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil and after about 20K more miles the leak eventually stopped. It has 196K on it now.

It doesn't happen often, but it can happen. It's the only time I've seen it happen. I've been running synthetic in everything I own since about 1990 and this is the only vehicle I ever had an issue with. I would definitely give it a try, the overwhelming odds are you won't have any issue.

No Problems

I've been running Castrol Syntec 10w 30 (green bottle for vehicles over 75,000 miles) for over 4 years now with no problems at all... for the most part it usually helps the performacnce.... im going on 185k miles now and i havent had one problem yet... and i still have no leaks of anykind .... :salute:

Isnt syntec just a synthetic blend?

AMSOil is the shizznit!

themotoroilsite.com

You got to really love your auto to use it though, it's expensive. I guess I don't love my Explorer that much. I use Mobil 1 for the Ex. But I use it everywhere on my motorcycle, and I would use it for differential fluid (or other not-so-frequently changed fluids) in all my autos. When I get an engine swap and a 'Stang, those will get full AMSOil treatment, of course.

I ordered 3-qts and a filter for my motorcycle, and it was $50 to my door! The next day, my bike was stolen (for the 2nd time!). I was so angry I spent $50 on a measly 0.6L engine oil change!

Don't worry, got the bike back, and it's AMSOil'ed up!

Anyway, after playing with that petroleum vs. synthetic gear toy at all the autostores and reading the bible, I'm convinced synthetic is nothing but better.

As far as your leaking question, i don't know. it makes sense a little bit though. i'd think I'd take the chance. I'd rather drip a few drops here and there (which is all it would be if it didn't leak with petroleum) and have proper lube. You could be half-ass'ed and use the 50/50 SUV blend.

I just bought a truck that already has 143,000 miles on it. As soon as I get it home, it's going to get Mobil 1 oil change and an AMSOil diff change as well as other tuning-up. I'm not so worried about synthetic leakage as I am the engine becoming in such shock from the fresh feel of all new parts!

You can get more information on this at the amsoil website. Also if you decide amsoil is for you, get a free preferred membership and prices are very discounted.

I researched this oil leak issue a few years ago after a 1996 Contour 2.5L 24V DOHC I have started leaking from the crank seals when I switched it to Mobil 1 for the first time at 116K miles when I bought it from the company I worked for. This is about the only scenario where there can be a leak "caused" by synthetic oil: If the engine temp has spiked high, very high, during a big issue like a hose or water pump failure (which my Contour had), the dynamic seals can weaken somewhat and take a bit of a thermal "set" by hardening. The dino oil will tend to form a varnish that will basically fill in the resulting weak seal diameter. When you switch to synthetic, it's superior detergent properties will clean away the varnish deposits and then, due to the improved lubricity, it can form a small leak.

I switched back to the 5W-30 semi-synthetic Motorcraft oil and after about 20K more miles the leak eventually stopped. It has 196K on it now.

It doesn't happen often, but it can happen. It's the only time I've seen it happen. I've been running synthetic in everything I own since about 1990 and this is the only vehicle I ever had an issue with. I would definitely give it a try, the overwhelming odds are you won't have any issue.

This is also what I have heard. That or dyno oil will gum up around the seals and the syn cleans it off after the seal was already dry and starting to deteriorate.

The truth about synthetic and seals though is that it is actually better for your seals as it will condition them naturally, while dino oil has to put in synthetic additives to maintain seals because the oil itself will deteriorate (spelling?) seals. Then when the additive breaks down, your seals start to deteriorate.

Amsoil is a great product. I like the fact I can go 25,000 on a change along with the filter. I change my oil once a year. I save money in oil and mpg both. I don't think there is a better product on the market. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Im switching to full synthetic today on a 2k 5.0 XLT... I will let you know if I get any leaks... but there isnt any true feasable reason why synthetic would leak from something that held conventional.

How about sythetic blends????? Any info or opinions on those? Or is it just better to go straight to full synthetic with a 150K 95 EX?

In my opinion, blends are a waste of money.

The problem lies in the fact that the amount of actual synthetic oil in the blend is not regulated and can be quite small and still have the blend designation.

I recommend full synthetic.

Good luck ....

only reason it would leak with synthetic would be that you already had a leak. Maybe you didn't see it because you had a natural dino oil plug. The synthetic may remove that sludge plug and then you will be leaking. Synthetic don't cause leaks that were not already there.

I switched to synthetic at around 75k with no ill effects.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back