Sync Services vs Navigation Screen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync Services vs Navigation Screen

Bad Sync no Nav for u

Hoping someone can help me understand this better. I searched but couldn't find anything on it...We are subscribed to sync services and that comes with directions.

Why would you use sync services directions instead of the nav screen? I really not sure of the benefit. From reading it sounds like your phone has to be connected to sync services the whole time it is routing. I'm not sure why it is needed with the nav screen.

I really haven't found a need yet at all for sync services and curious what I may be missing? Cost me $60 and may not sign up for it next year....

We have had good luck with the nav screen.

Any advice is welcomed...not getting sync services at all..

I had previously mentioned this in another thread. I read the features of the car and saw that Sync came with three years of voice navigation which I interpreted as similar to On-Star and hence thought that I didn't need navigation.

In hindsight this was a terrible decision. Unsure of how up-to-date the actual NAV Maps are since I don't have them, I can say that the Sync navigation database is outdated as well. I can provide a few examples of my frustration;

-Sync uses your phone for directions which is not so bad in itself but is implemented very poorly. If you miss a turn, it firsts asks you if you want to update your route, if you choose yes, it has to re-connect and download new instructions, and it has to send your vehicle's location back to the sync server. Meanwhile you're still moving. Once it calculates a route it has to send the directions to your vehicle and usually by the time it is able to process the first turn, I have already passed it which starts the whole update process over again. Your best bet is to pull over.

-If your phone has any signal issues, the download of directions will fail and start the whole process over again. Meanwhile you've gone ten miles off your route. It doesn't seem to take latency into account or the fact that you're still moving.

- Several times I have been driving on the highway when sync will come on and say "you have left the planned route, do you want to update?". In a 2011 vehicle I would have expected the maps database to be more up-to-date.

- On one route it took me to a ferry terminal in November. There is no option to tell it not to use a ferry. This situation really ticked me off because I had used the 'talk to a person' option to get my directions and they didn't even ask if I wanted to take the ferry or mention it to me. The software alone should be programmed to at least ask, or with the baseline logic that Ferries don't run over the winter. I was 45 min late to dinner that night.

These are just a few reasons why I have a hard time restraining myself from putting a fist shaped spiderweb in my MFT screen. Most often I just use my Cell phone, a droid incredible which has been totally up to date, fast and dead on accurate. I wish I had gotten the maps and really hope they offer it as an OEM upgrade option later on.

I found the Sports information to be useless unless you just want scores. I do use the weather and traffic which I set up in my FAVs but I still don't know how up to date the information is.
Cheers,

Doesn't make much sense if you're going to get charged extra phone fees. We can't get it here in Canada anyway. Navigation works perfect for me. Did I hear that the maps are being updated with the new update.

You sure did, chimoman! Everyone that has NAV will get a new SD card with new map data on it :)

Rebecca

Back