Sync Services vs Navigation Screen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync Services vs Navigation Screen

jspeer

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited Explorer
Hoping someone can help me understand this better. I searched but couldn't find anything on it...We are subscribed to sync services and that comes with directions.

Why would you use sync services directions instead of the nav screen? I really not sure of the benefit. From reading it sounds like your phone has to be connected to sync services the whole time it is routing. I'm not sure why it is needed with the nav screen.

I really haven't found a need yet at all for sync services and curious what I may be missing? Cost me $60 and may not sign up for it next year....

We have had good luck with the nav screen.

Any advice is welcomed...not getting sync services at all..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I occasionally use the Sync turn-by-turn directions. I did not get the built-in navigation in my Ex. Yes, the directions are downloaded to the car via your cell phone, but it usually only takes about a minute. I'm not sure what cost you $60? I did not have to pay for my Sync (yet, anyway!)

That's funny. Sync my ride indicated I had to sign up. $60/year. I just noticed on my window sticker it says sync services free for 3 years. Damn. I guess I ruined the free 3 years. Syncmyride says my subscription is up on 11/10/2012. Just my luck.

I am just struggling with the benefit of sync services if you have the Nav.

Anyone else see a reason to have both sync services and a Nav screen and also dd anyone else get 3 years free?

That's funny. Sync my ride indicated I had to sign up. $60/year. I just noticed on my window sticker it says sync services free for 3 years. Damn. I guess I ruined the free 3 years. Syncmyride says my subscription is up on 11/10/2012. Just my luck.

I am just struggling with the benefit of sync services if you have the Nav.

Anyone else see a reason to have both sync services and a Nav screen and also dd anyone else get 3 years free?

Yes, I got Sync free for three years when I bought my Ex. I think thats the standard Ford deal.

I believe that when I installed the SD Nav card a popup on the screen said Sync disabled.

Sync Services

The main thing I use Sync Services for is to send destinations to my Explorer from Google Maps. You right click the location you have looked up and choose SEND and then CAR and indicate FORD and put in your cell phone number that you use in the car. When you get in the car CONNECT to Services and it will say "Google Maps has sent you a web point (?), do you want directions to 'name of webpoint you chose'?"

Saves me typing in where I am going for some locations.

I would call, and explain the situation. Maybe you can get your money refunded? Or, if not, you shouldn't have to lose your Free 3 years. Even though you're not finding it useful, maybe they could at least add the paid year at the end and make it 4 years.

I have used Sync with the Nav system a couple of times when traveling. If you are driving and decide you want to find a particular business, you can call Sync and ask for directions and find business. Sync will download the location to the Nav screen and Nav then works the same as if you entered the location.

Sync services seems more up to date in all honesty. I was trying to use the nav to find a specific address and I guess she didn't like how I asked. So I used sync services and it found the address right away.

Thanks for the help...called sync services and it ended up being the dealer had a typo when setting up my account...I set it up correctly at home and it assumed I was a new user...they refunded my extra account and the dealer set up account is good for 3 years...unfortunately I have to remember to log in with a typo...oh well...

Now I have three years to see if sync services has any benefit...

Sync services seems more up to date in all honesty. I was trying to use the nav to find a specific address and I guess she didn't like how I asked. So I used sync services and it found the address right away.

Sync services probably uses Garmin navigation, lol.

I use Sync Services regularly. It has far more success understanding an address than the regular voice command navigation does.

Thanks for the help...called sync services and it ended up being the dealer had a typo when setting up my account...I set it up correctly at home and it assumed I was a new user...they refunded my extra account and the dealer set up account is good for 3 years...unfortunately I have to remember to log in with a typo...oh well...

Now I have three years to see if sync services has any benefit...

Hey, jspeer!

There is a way for you to fix the account name on the one your dealer made. It's semi long, so if you want me to do it for you, just let me know!

Here are the instructions:

With the user name and password of the account that you made, log into the following site:

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/HomePage&lb=ford

On the left side of the page, you will see your vehicle and a Quick Links box. Click on View / Edit Your Profile.

Once My Profile comes up, click on Edit Profile, under My Account Information.

Your user name will be grayed out on the next page but you should see a box on the right side of the screen, with the following wording:

If you select edit user name below you will need to create a new user name in the form of an email address.
Edit user name

Click on Edit user name.

Change your user name to something other than your real email such as, jspeer22@fakeemail.com, and Save Changes.

Log out of that account and then do the same thing for the account your dealer setup for you but use your correct email address.

Check www.SyncMyRide.com to make sure you can log in with the proper email and that the account information is correct.

Let me know if you need help!

Rebecca

That's not so bad...I'll do that to get it correct...thanks

Hoping someone can help me understand this better. I searched but couldn't find anything on it...We are subscribed to sync services and that comes with directions.

Why would you use sync services directions instead of the nav screen? I really not sure of the benefit. From reading it sounds like your phone has to be connected to sync services the whole time it is routing. I'm not sure why it is needed with the nav screen.

I really haven't found a need yet at all for sync services and curious what I may be missing? Cost me $60 and may not sign up for it next year....

We have had good luck with the nav screen.

Any advice is welcomed...not getting sync services at all..

It's not just Directions, you can get traffic updates sent to your phone and get connected to businesses. You also have other services such as stock quotes, sports, news and more. Here is an article on what SYNC Services can give you.

http://ford-life.com/2012/01/12/3-easy-steps-that-could-change-your-driving-experience-forever/

When using your phone and depending where you are are you dinged with roaming charges?

Operative word here is your phone.
Your minutes.
Your charges.

When using your phone and depending where you are are you dinged with roaming charges?

hosedagain,

Yes, you could get dinged with roaming charges. SYNC Services generally only takes 3-5 minutes to use and download the directions. After that, your phone is no longer connected to SYNC Services so you can use it for phone calls and music.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't make much sense if you're going to get charged extra phone fees. We can't get it here in Canada anyway. Navigation works perfect for me. Did I hear that the maps are being updated with the new update.

Back