T-boned last night, few questions.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T-boned last night, few questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically a stupid girl in a rav 4 t-boned me coming out of her driveway...she never saw me and slammed right into the back drivers side door which then spun me around, hitting a parked ranger on her side of the street. I almost missed her :mad: The ironic thing is that i was telling my buddy about how i need to fix some things on this truck or get rid of it, since a good amount of maintence type issues have come up as of late(ball joints, fuel pump, alternator, serp. belt, belt tensioners, etc) 2 seconds after i finished that sentence, i was getting slammed around the street like a ragdoll.

As far as I can tell, the truck needs a new back door, trim under drivers side door, rear quarter panel, left head light, new grile, bumper, foglights and valence around them, radiator, radiator lines and tranny cooler lines...mechanically i dont know yet(it was leakin coolant and tranny fluid all over the place.) needs touch up paint in a few other areas as well.

CIMG0928.jpg

My camera died after takin this pic, so i dont have any of the front of the truck.

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what a shop would charge to do all of this? Obviously her insurance will be paying for it, but im concerned that with 143,000 miles on it...theyre just going to total it. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its likely totalled IMO, but thats just going on what you posted and that 1 pic.

You can always but it back from the insurance co for EL cheapo!

Glad everyone is okay.

When I was younger I was telling my buddy how great it was that I had not had an accident in like 5 years, he was saying the same. 2 weeks later I was t boned by a pathfinder and it almost killed the same buddy of mine who was sitting in my pass seat. I now knock on wood whenever anything like this comes up in conversation.

I couldnt give you a price, but if the front end is as bad, they will probably total it. My bro had a badass '87 Nissan Turbo 300Z Special Edition, had it all fixed up, some chick cuts him off, the insurance totaled it for $2k, only because he left the sound system in it, otherwise $1700. Sorry about the wreck, at least your ok, even tho I would have probably gone to jail for kicking the crap out the other driver, lol.

she must have come out of hte driveway quite fast to do all that

i dont think it "needs" anything but a new radiator, lines, and cooler....oh and a sawzall and some big tires. ;)

i think shes gonna be toatled..but i'm no expert.

i would just buy it back and do whatever it takes to make it driveable again..

That is a fairly significant hit no question. Likely a total loss.
Buying it back IS an option but I am seeing a costly repair either way.
That dog leg has moved a good bit.

Yep, it's definitely a total (the wife works in insurance). If the damage is over 50% of the book value, the insurance company will call it a total.

It looks to be an easy 'project' fix, although to have it done professionally would be in the $2500-$3000 ballpark.....

Unfortunate accident. A split second makes all the difference in one like that. It happened to me once, and I know how badly it makes you feel....

This sucks hardcore, I really enjoyed this truck for the short time that i had it....

Assuming they do total it, how much am i looking at for a buyback from the insurance company?

Let me say again.
I have been in collision repair for over 15 years, I know what I am talking about.

The damage to the dog leg is significant. Dont think for a second that welding on a new quarter pannel is going to be a reasonable soulution. Dont think for a second that any hammer you own is going to bang that dog leg out.

That truck is going to have to go up on a frame machiene and get the side pulled back into place. The inner structure is unquestionably damaged. To what extent obviously I dont know, it may be repairable, or it may need to be replaced.

Befor you get all excited about buying it back, research what you are getting into.
You might be looking at a minium of a few thousand dollars to get that thing back up to snuff.

I am not saying dont or you cant. I am saying do some research and think things through.

Thanks for the input Monmix, that buyback would be too high for me anyway right now, im going to have a hard enough time getting money for a replacement truck assuming this one is totalled. Now, if it was a couple hundred, i would be a bit more interested.

Just found out today that the truck already has a salvage title from being flooded in tropical storm allison when my uncle was driving it..who knows if i could even buy it back again....

What im concerned about though is, even though this truck has a salvage title, it still performes as a vehicle with a clear title...I really hope that her insurance company is not going to treat this as a piece of crap, junk it, and give me a check for $2000 for a $4000 vehicle...anyone have any experience with this??

Just looked at the pics, definately totalled.

Take the money and run. I have no idea what "blue book" is as we don't have a body shop or do sales at work.

What im concerned about though is, even though this truck has a salvage title, it still performes as a vehicle with a clear title...I really hope that her insurance company is not going to treat this as a piece of crap, junk it, and give me a check for $2000 for a $4000 vehicle...anyone have any experience with this??
South59, unfortunately that's exactly what the insurance adjuster will try to do. Remember they are working for their company, not for you, and their goal is to give the lowest payout possible.

The adjuster should have already run the VIN and DVR, and will be aware of the salvage title.

If there's any chance you have collision coverage on yours, that will make things MUCH better, since that makes the 'dealing' between hers and your insurance company, and your company has to replace your vehicle.

Good luck with this, man; it's not much fun..... :(

From my experience, as long as the value excedes the repair cost they should fix it.

Jason94sport said:
From my experience, as long as the value excedes the repair cost they should fix it.

Insurance companies base it on any where from 50 to 80 % of the vehicles value. Salvage bid works a lot into that equasion too. If the junk yard is willing to good money for the remaining good parts that will push the total margin closer to the 50% mark.

That being said we all know how well Explorers hold their value :rolleyes:

Question Monmix

When you refer to the "Damage done to the Dog leg" what are you refering to ?? this is not a cynical question...I just want to learn something.

Thanks
Dwight P

the dog leg is the S shaped part of the quarter pannel. Looks like a dogs leg.
Right there on the photo, where the door ends, just befor the wheel opening.

This is a very thick structural section. Very difficult to move.

Thanks for asking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stick a fork in that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back