Taillight Sheetmetal fillers

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
do they make weld in sheetmetal fillers for 1st gen tail lights? With the explorer not being a daily anymore i can work on it anytime, and this weekend is bloomsburg, im sure after that i will be dropping cash on the explorer to get it ready for next year. So i was thinking about adding 10" led tails and putting the plate in the hatch, maybe crooked or something.

where can i get those sheetmetal fillers at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never seen taillight fillers for any gen Explorer...

Contact Matt Baker and let him know Brian Green from Nukinfutz.com
sent you his way. These guys are bad ***** when it comes to custom fab, etc.
Grant Kustoms
70 Stuart Ct. #D
Oroville, CA 95966

E-mail: grantfab@saber.net
Phone: 1-530-532-7832

Hours
Mon - Fri: 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM PST

Owner: Bob Grant
Sales Rep: Matt Baker

www.grantkustoms.com

let me know what you want, how you want it curved, ect. I can make it.

Wait....

10" !!! Thats bordering on ridiculous, defiantly past sensible. Where do you plan on fitting them (Don't say taillight fillers, they aren't big enough and even if you did they would never match the body curve)

Edit again: I just realized that you may of meant like a 10" x 3" oval led. I was thinking you meant 10" round. An oval wouldn't be as bad, but still kinda.... jeepish.

And a crooked plate in the hatch? Do you plan on lowering it?

Hey, its your truck do what makes you happy. Thats just my .02

220181_96_full.jpg

just like that, but the lights are only as long as the stock lights.

Personally what I would rather do is make a copy of my taillight from 16ga steel and then just punch out for the light. It probably could be made to fit in the stock location.

Personally what I would rather do is make a copy of my taillight from 16ga steel and then just punch out for the light. It probably could be made to fit in the stock location.

yea thats what i had planned. I just need to get the actual size of the lights. expect a pm soon with the dimensions. If your willin to make them.

what do you want them made out of I can do, steel, stainless, aluminum, aluminum treadplate, steel tread plate. Steel will be cheapest, stainless will be most expensive.

just steel, they will be welded on an painted to match.

you want to weld them on? ok then....

I see you have two options, I can make the bends so the light mounts flush and straight, but the piece will be squared off to the body.

I can roll it so it somewhat matches the body curve and the orig taillight shape but getting the light to mount straight on a curve will be tricky.

Basically if I bent it it would turn out like the one in a few posts above, but im not sure how thats gonna go with your show truck look.

Do you want reverse lights?

What thickness steel do you want?

And understand, these will cost at least $150 if you supply the lights, if they go anything like I am expecting. The last ones for sale were reported at $285 which I think is ridiculous but with shop hourly cost what it is, I can only cut so many corners. My boss needs to get his share as well.

You have backed out on buying countless things from me in the past, so understand that I will require something upfront before I start anything with them.

My crazy idea is to mount the lights deep inside the body, protected and run a clear thick poly....what ever. Kinda like the clear flexable tube you get at the hardware store. That way the lights shine through, you keep the shape of the original lens, and if you hit something with it, it flexs in and pops back out.:D I just can't seem to find the poly stuff with a little bit of thickness to it.:rolleyes:

so i take it since you never responded to my PM's that you decided it was more work/money than your orig thought and never bothered to tell me?

Tailight fillers...

DSC_1490.jpg

Hmm, what good did that do:eek:

The attached photos show my solution.

Attachments

• tailight4.jpg
    tailight4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 399
  • tailight5.jpg
    tailight5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 394

LOL Rick, I cant believe your truck is still road legal in AZ -- makes me want to move there.

I found a job with my company in Yuma, so I went to weather.com and checked out the temperature for that day in Yuma, AZ -- it was 112 degrees F :rolleyes:

I found a job with my company in Yuma, so I went to weather.com and checked out the temperature for that day in Yuma, AZ -- it was 112 degrees F :rolleyes:

But it's a dry heat!:p:

see, that's what I'm saying, like Rick's, but with clear plastic over so it still has the light shape

so i take it since you never responded to my PM's that you decided it was more work/money than your orig thought and never bothered to tell me?

nope not really, i just went ahead and made them myself. Still need to cut out for the light though, and then they are goin in.

but thanks for the ideas guys

Back