Tall valve covers to clear 5.0 roller rockers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tall valve covers to clear 5.0 roller rockers

You will have to "clearance" and remove the baffle under the fill-spout.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say 'clearance the baffle', how much grinding are you talking about?

I removed the aluminum plate from the baffle on the Mustang covers and they aren't even close to fitting. I can't actually see what all is making contact, but it feels like they're bumping in multiple locations.

I've got the Spectre set on the way. Should be able to try those on Friday.

20210428_203851.jpg

20210428_203944.jpg

received_290437016045269.jpeg

It will be interesting to see what they look like when the box arrives... Check out the location of the oil fill:

Screenshot_20210428-211500_Chrome.jpg

Smooth out those bosses that supported the baffle.
Think about stuffing a "Brillo" pad in the oil fill tube to
baffle the oil mist so it doesn't puke out the fill cap.

P4290029.JPG
Had to show off the covers for my Mustang. I powder coated these @ home. Silver under coat, followed by red candy.
Trick Flow top-end '97 EX engine (bought it sold heads and manifold exhaust and made the rest free).

P4290028.JPG

P4290030.JPG

Thanks again. I'm curious - your Mustang covers don't have the supporting rods built in that mine do. Any idea what year that changed? Given that it feels like I'm bumping into things all over the place, I wonder if they're also part of my issue.

Regardless - I'll get a shot at the Spectre covers tomorrow, so maybe they'll work and I can turn these around on eBay without grinding away at them.

The Fox valve covers changed in 92 or 93 for the 93 cobra since it came with roller rockers. They don't have those rod looking things in them.

Mine fit perfect over 1.7 rollers.

The Fox valve covers changed in 92 or 93 for the 93 cobra since it came with roller rockers. They don't have those rod looking things in them.

Mine fit perfect over 1.7 rollers.
No baffle grinding or anything at all?

When I clayed the covers, I did not like the clearance on on rocker arm
hence the modification. I had to take IIRC .120 off the side and . 090 off the bottom
of the intake (might be the other way around as I have slept since then) just to
get it down far enough to port match correctly. That was a fun trip down to
Reher Morrison Racing Engines for that project!

Roller rockers are not all alike, they differ in height a lot by brands and mounting types etc. The OEM 93-95 Cobra's had pedestal roller rockers, and those valve covers were relatively short.

I wish someone made a feasible 1/2" VC spacer kit. That would solve most clearance problems and hunting for new VC's. The existing spacer kits are all very expensive, and most are very tall(1" and more for $100+).

I've got a set of the newer style Mustang covers in my cart on eBay. Hopefully the Spectre set will clear (and stay under the upper intake), but it's a good backup plan. At least the intake spacer helps a bit with clearance above.

Then I can switch over to sorting the next puzzle out:
1619721362890.png

Have you tested the clearance of the headers to the VC's, do they all clear? I'm referring to some TW 170 heads needing a little grinding to clear near the back exhaust ports.

It's going to be close for sure. Can't really confirm clearance until I have a set of valve covers to see it all for together. I'll let you know.

Still have to drive to the shop tomorrow to test fit, but the Spectre covers look very promising. Clean design on the inside with little to interfere. Tall, and very well made. Several pounds of aluminum each, nothing like the cheesy chrome covers you see all the time.

20210430_174048.jpg
20210430_174039.jpg

Valve covers clear the rocker arms easily. I did have to expand the bolt holes slightly - they were just slightly misaligned. Nothing major.
20210501_101711.jpg

With the intake spacer, the upper clears the covers. Barely.
20210501_104316.jpg

Next stop is EGR.
20210501_110103.jpg

Valve covers will clear the headers and EGR. BARELY.

20210501_132912.jpg
20210501_132835.jpg

All of those shiny parts, now you need something more on the heads, repaint etc. Nobody will see it of course, just on the engine stand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After all this time, I'll be thoroughly content to never look at this thing again outside of oil changes.

Back