• Register Today It's free!

TDC mark location

samadams

Reaction score
City, State
Fallston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
I’m in the process of replacing my camshaft synchronizer on my ’98 Mtnr 5.0 AWD and need to set cyl 1 to TDC. I’m trying to locate the TDC mark on the crank damper. Is this it? I don’t see any other marks.

Thanks

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine doesn't look like that-you should see some gradient lines and numbers-rotate it 180 and look again-

Why not just remove the sensor from the synch drive-slowly rotate engine until the "tool" fits the synch drive-
now you are at tdc-

Mine doesn't look like that-you should see some gradient lines and numbers-rotate it 180 and look again-

Why not just remove the sensor from the synch drive-slowly rotate engine until the "tool" fits the synch drive-
now you are at tdc-

Do you mean unplug the sensor and remove two 4.5mm bolts to remove old sensor off the synchronizer that's going to be replaced, before it is removed, turn the motor with a wratchet-3" extension-15/16" socket on the crankshaft bolt until the alignment tool fits?, mark position on engine, then loosen/remove the hold down bolt and remove the old synchronizer, lube the new one, put the alignment tool on and drop it in so it sits just like the original and lines up with the mark you made, replace hold down bolt, remove alignment tool, install new sensor, plug in electrical and your done?

Would that really work to find TDC?

I’m in the process of replacing my camshaft synchronizer on my ’98 Mtnr 5.0 AWD and need to set cyl 1 to TDC. I’m trying to locate the TDC mark on the crank damper. Is this it? I don’t see any other marks.

Thanks

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

So did that end up being your TDC?
any advice, I'm doing this in the morning.

Wish I could help but I don't remember. Getting old.

Jim

Not a close up I know, but if you look at this picture you will see where I wiped paint off the balancer to reveal the timing marks. 0 degrees is clearly marked, as are steps counting by 10. You should see about 30 BTDC and 10 ATDC degrees marked out on the wheel. Clean and look closely.

You canalso see the pointer in the picture.

I do not think the large gash is TDC, but I could be wrong

002_zps69f4bd9e.jpg

Back