Tension rattle at start up, solution? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tension rattle at start up, solution?

Cdy291

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Even with new guides and tensioners, and synthetic oil with a MC filter, I still get timing chain rattle from the rear tensioner at start up. It got me to wondering why the rear tensioner doesn't have the oil reservoir on it like the front one does? If it did it wouldn't have to wait for the oil to get to it to firm up. Has anyone ever tried to put a front tensioner on the rear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front vs rear tensioner

I also had cold start chain rattle after replacing my camshaft timing components. I eliminated the start up rattle by installing a pre-oiler.

As I recall the length of the front tensioner from the hex shaped seating face to the end of the cylinder bore is longer than that of the rear tensioner.
BWTens.jpg

If the length front tensioner (when installed in the rear position) is enough that the piston cannot move in the cylinder bore then the cassette guide assembly will rapidly break. However, the precision tensioning tool in the OTC 6488 kit is used for tensioning both the front and rear cassettes so maybe it is possible.

I suspect the reason the front is quieter than the rear at start up is due to oil from the pump getting to the front piston sooner.

Back