Tents & camping gear-field tested reviews | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tents & camping gear-field tested reviews

I give a review of ours, but I think I'm the only crazy one with a 10 person tent that we treat like a hotel:D Double stack mattress, ceiling fan, screened in front porch....you get the idea:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Please do give a review..

Those who need to move out of a 2 person tent when their family grows in size would be interested..

You can always find reviews of the little tents but not very many useful reviews on the larger tents...

..I'm still waiting to see the pictures of the map table in Ritsui's tent..:D

Pic of our family hotel. It was ok in 20+ wind once tied down. Fit two queen air beds in it with room for gear. 6.5' tall in center and has a roll out porch that we don't use. In temps of low 30's with a mr buddy heater, it was pretty warm. Have not tested in rain yet.

Attachments

• image-3996867643.jpg
    image-3996867643.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 458

Yup, it's a tad breezy out...where'd you end up camping?

..just saw this..

..That night, I drove out to the middle of the desert close to my job and camped in the blow sand..

..Last night was up at the Lake and the winds that started after 2 a.m were 25-35mph with gust of 50 mph and higher...I never have had the antenna blow over on y truck till last night..:eek:

...When I went to bed there were 20 plus tenters and about the same in car campers..When I got up at 6:30 and with the wind still blowing, this guy was the only other tenter and all but 2 car campers had left..

20140330_070753.jpg

..What you can't see in the picture is that was a large tent and the wind was blowing min. 25 mph when I took the picture..He has tied up his broken poles to make a 2 teepee section with a breezeway in the middle..

..He was holding everything up while his girlfriend was extracting there belongings..:D

..It was weird to hear the cries of parents and the hysterical laughter of kids in the night thru the wind and wake up and everyone is gone..

..My tent on the other hand past it's wind test..Last night is compared to a few years back when one of my Coleman tents was brand new and was folded down on me from four sides..

..This tent held up the same if not better and was not staked or tied down..;)

..Luckily I was in this tent as it has the ultra fine mesh to keep the sand out..This is what made it into the tent and was under my sleeping bag on top of the pad after 4 1/2 hours of wind..

20140330_062510.jpg

I will share what I have learned. The big 10 person tents don't hold in heat well. So when it gets cold...you get cold. Lot of air space in these. With a double stack mattress the cold comes right into your back as we use just traditional sheets on the mattress.

So to stay warm with the air mattress we started putting down foil emergency blankets down on the floor, then put your mattress over it. Huge difference in temperature. :thumbsup:

Back