How to: - The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: The Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is a dumb ? but couldnt you jsut get a diff switch? a 2wd 4hi 4low one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. The switches are functionally identical. They send a particular voltage to the GEM input that controls the function. It's the GEM programming that differs across the years.

So if you jsut cut the brown wire on a 97 with auto that mean that it will be just 2wd in all settings correct

Depends which brown wire you cut.

which brown wire in the 96 auto explorer do I cut to keep it in 2wd ALL the time?

You don't. In a 96, you turn the switch to the 2wd position and leave it there.

I thought it was?!!? In fact, I just double-checked, and it's at the TOP of the Transmissions, Transfer Cases, and Differentials section. :) {blushing: I feel so honored}

just finished the brown wire mod, i wired the switch up underneath my factory 4x4 selector knob, and i went out to the back roads, did a burn out and dug a 12 inch deep hole, i absolutley love it!!!!!! thanks alot guys, my ranger friends cant even believe how simple it was, they always used to bug me that i wasnt a truck becasue i didnt have rear wheel capabilites, and they would always remind me that im an suv, example( hey im gonna go throw my hockey equipment in my truck. and they would respond, you mean your suv rights) *******s now im the one laughing!!!

i still dont understand will i still be able to us 4 high and 4 low to rock krawl.

wat do u mean so i can lock the front diff then with an ausie loccker, could u explan the switch theory to me wen its on will it be awd again

wat do u mean so i can lock the front diff then with an ausie loccker, could u explan the switch theory to me wen its on will it be awd again

Brooklyn Bay is right in that the switch disconnects the power to the transfer case, preventing the 4wd from engaging. However, your vehicle is not all wheel drive. It's Automatic 4 Wheel Drive, not All Wheel Drive. The two systems are not the same thing. It's rear-wheel-drive until the rear wheels slip, at which point it electronically engages the transfer case until the rear wheels are turning the same speed as the front wheels again.

When you install the switch in teh brown wire that feeds the power to the transfer case, turning the switch off interrupts the power flow to the transfer case clutch coil, thereby preventing the transfer case from locking, providing you with a true 2wd high or 2wd low at will. Turning the switch back to the on position restores the normal original function of the Control Trac automatic system.

Simple enough?

so with the switch off i am 2 wheel drive but with the switch on it will be normal atamatic 4, 4 high and 4 low, rite?

Kiny -- I'm going to post here instead of PMs, so that others can chime in.

so with the switch off i am 2 wheel drive but with the switch on it will be normal atamatic 4, 4 high and 4 low, rite?
Yes you have it correct.

What the BWM does is basically mechanically disconnect the front driveshaft from the rest of the vehicle. So even if you have your BWM switch in the Off position and then put the in-dash switch in 4HI, the vehicle will only be 2HI. On the other hand, if you have the BWM switch in the Off position, and then you put the in-dash switch to 4LO, then you will have 4LO. If you have the switch in the On position, then the vehicle will behave as if you've never done the BWM.

But I think we need to look at whether or not you need to do the BWM. If what you want to do is off-road, then the BWM doesn't really help you at all (unless you somehow outfitted that rear 8.8 axle with rear steer and you're doing a rear-end dig).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wat id like do do is put an ausie locker in the front thtats why im askin so many qeustios about this, because i dont want do go through the head ake of the front end lokin in when im on a wet road or somthin and not being able to control it

Back