The Dreaded Whine from the Rear Axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Dreaded Whine from the Rear Axle

khibdwb

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
:roll: I am truly, truly depressed. I heard the dreaded whine from the rear of my Explorer today. After reading the post in here and complaints and trials of other Ex owners on the Internet...and the costs!...I am tempted to put my Explorer out of its misery.

I noticed that there was bothersome vibration when going 65mph but figured the wheels needed balancing. But today, while accelerating to 70mph without the radio on I heard that dreaded sound of death (debt?).

And I just picked up a used 2002 Explorer XLT this past weekend. It has 86,300 miles. New tires. Nice clean paint. Perfect!

Should've taken out that loan and gone for the Tundra instead!!

Ugh!!! :fire:

Its unfortunate that the rear axle assembly on the third generation Explorers are not as dependable as the ones used on the first and second generations. There have been quite a bit of threads about such problems, along with other ones like the rear coil springs snapping.

Yeah, maybe the Tundra would've been a better buy :(

Mine has been whining since new (May 2002), now at 84K miles. Slightly annoying, but no repairs yet.

Back