The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!!

i sincerely hope that person is right. i would hate to see such an icon go away....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford is known to run around with blinders on. The Explorer sales have suffered to slow sales, will they kill it? Of course if the sales aren't there. My wife wanted a Edge so I went and drove it with her. It rode like a marshmallow on wheels with horrible gas mileage to boot. But cuv's are the hot thing right now and I just don't see why. The Explorer v-8 Eddie Bauer we drove as well got better fuel economy and rode better, but my wife didn't want another Explorer although she admitted it rode,drove better and got better fuel economy than the Edge. I think the Edge is garbage. But oh well the 06 Five Hundred Limited we have will remain in the fleet. This is an incredible car (after I tuned it, she woke up) which was plagued by a lack of marketing. As with all Fords other products. They dont market enough. TV and Radio coverage sells. Also don't have gay commerials.

I mostly agree with James- Ford sufferes from terrible marketing. They have for years. Problem is, with Ford's recent image issues and product challenges, they need the marketing to be the strong point- just to get people into the doors to even see the cars close up. They can build all of the good products they want, but without people to kick the tires, it's all a moot point.

As far as the only thing I disagree with- The Edge isn't garbage. It may not be what you were looking for, or what you expected, but it isn't garbage because of that. The vast majority of people want boulevard ride, and that's what it has- and it is selling well (relatively speaking) for Ford. I think I'd be hard pressed to find a piece of crap being built by any of the major manufacturers right now with the competition in the global market.

With all of that being said, and with more and more crossovers being introduced, the Explorer (I suspect going back to truck-based with all of the car based crossovers) will once again be in a unique market segment, and I doubt it wil be going anywhere. (I hope!!!) :D

I think the main reason they did such a drastic change was due to the roll-over issues. I know personally when that started to hit the news..i was like, i will never buy a explorer..look at me now, i own 2:confused:
I actually bought a 3rd gen b/c IMO looks better than the 2nd gen..not sayin the 2nd gen is ugly or anything like that..but the way it looks is more appealing to me...just my personal opinion

no way! lol i like the face of the 3rd gens its ok but the rear end is HUGE and reminds me of a station wagon or something i dont like how they changed the windows in the back ether and i still dont under stand about the rollover unless it was entirely to blame on the firestone tires cuz i have driven mine hard really hard and never once did it feel iffy..... oh and that taurus X thing is the ugly as hell reminds me when ford released the focus and i wanted to gag

I hope they do terminate the Explorer line so that these vehicles start becoming more and more rare.. and appreciate in value? :D

The explorer died in 2001 as far as I'm concerned, the 3rd gens are ok, but not really being able to lift it takes away it's real suv status as far as I'm concerned.

Deff. agree with that.

I felt the same way when they announced the full size Bronco was finished. I was crushed. We had a 88 Eddie Bauer at the time and loved it. When it was time to replace it we bought our Explorer. But it was never the same till we put the lift on it. Now it's great. We since also bought a Eddie Bauer Expedition. Awesome truck!!!

There is just something about a SUV being based on a truck, and not just an oversized station wagon that can never be replaced.

Joe Dirt we have some of the very same opinions but I might add that the Edge is a vehicle trying to compete in a class with Sporty cuv's. Like the Lexus RX330, Murano and the Equinox-all are superior. I am def not a Toyota guy but there isn't any competition between the two. There is a difference between a cushy ride and just plain being damped wrong. It literally rode like a boat. Actually I have a Ski Brendella tournament inboard I barefoot off of and it feels more responsive than the Edge. Initially,I really tried to defend Ford on this one saying car and driver and Motor Trend were picking on the Edge after driving it I realized they weren't picking on the Edge they were just stating the cold hard facts. The Explorer was smoother riding and still felt responsive and was more refined all the way around. I never buy a base model so when I went to look athe the Edge I looked at the most of everything offered. Maybe I just don't fall into the propoganda these guys are thowing out. But I think a truck or even something which resembles a truck should have a frame under it. Oh and did I mention the Edge almost weighs as much as the v-8 explorer. OUCH a porker!I have owned 22 (7 Mustangs, 2 Explorer,1Bronco II, Probe GT v-6,3 Rangers and so the list goes on! ) Ford vehicles and when I go buy a new car my buddies ask which Ford it is going to be. So I am tried and true but Ford really dropped the ball on this one. 3500# tow rating? I will stop ranting now, thanks guys for listening to me.-j

Maybe I just don't fall into the propoganda these guys are thowing out. But I think a truck or even something which resembles a truck should have a frame under it.

I second that. :salute:

James- I totally agree with the frame issue as well- I never thought of the Edge, or even the Murano- etc... as a truck- they are just big, tall cars. Problem is that people buy them expecting them to be a truck if they are not informed- which is where the propoganda problem comes in. A lot of people do not put forth the effort to examine a car's capabilities before buying- they just like the headlights and sign the papers. Then, they get pissed, then they badmouth Ford to their friends, then Ford sales suffer, then you get 2007... And the current sales problems.

But hey- "marshmallow on wheels" made me LOL... :D

Can't replace the Explorer!

Yes, I don't like the Edge. It looks like a big hatchback car, which is what it is. I like something that at least looks like a truck.

Now the Freestyle/Taurus X is OK for what it does. Ford designed a car with lots of room for people or cargo, but for people who don't want a truck ride, and who don't want the negative image of a minivan or station wagon. People, mostly families with kids, seem to like them (http://myfordfreestyle.com) So, what Ford built is a car that looks a little like an Explorer, but lower. Its sort of a cross between an Explorer, a minivan, and a Ford Country Squire Wagon. Look at the Explorer, Freestar minivan and the Taurus X from the back and they all look the same. I find that the way the Taurus X looks depends a lot on its color. I'd definitely avoid two-tone body and fender flares!

Now the Flex really is a minivan disguised as a truck. It looks like a big, big, Honda Element or a Scion. Yuk!

I think that none of these vehicles can or should replace the Explorer. Compared to the Taurus X, Explorer has better tires, more ground clearance, a transfer case, rugged, and has a lower MSRP.

When my 1992 XLT wears out, I'll probably buy another Explorer! Sure there's other options like Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner and Jeep Grand Cherokee, or the Ford Escape (Explorer Junior) but I wouldn't buy a Chrysler and I don't have any knowledge on servicing and buying parts for the imports. I do know from experience that the Explorer (at least mine) is not too hard to service, and spare parts are easy to find (I have a neighbor who had to go to 3 auto parts stores to get an air filter for his Toyota Camry. I can get Explorer filters at Wal-Mart, and I've been able to find most repair parts (fan clutches, O2 sensor, belt, wires, alternator, FPR at NAPA or Autozone).

So, I too, hope the rumors of the Explorer's demise are false.

Bob

Bob

What about the engine?

Okay, so it's ugly as butt, but it's a concept, so we can expect it to change a lot by the time it hits production.

And it's off road capabilities have been sacrificed on the alter to the ride quality gods, but lets face it, the explorer's stock form never did very well off road anyway (I know, I've tried). So I can't blame them too much. I just hope it doesn't have body roll like my mother's Chrysler Town & Country.

Towing capacity is down. If it wasn't for this, I would say that it was the ideal vehicle for the family man with a big boat or race car that still needs to haul his wife and kids. But look at these engines:

275hp\280ft lbs from a 2.0L I-4. That's 2.25hp per cubic inch! The 3.5L 340hp/340fl lb V-6 option comes in somewhat less impressive at 1.6hp/in, still no slouch. These will be by far the most powerful engines the Explorer has ever seen (stock anyway, I've seen some scary things done with Ford 5.0s) With it's reduced weight, I'd like to see the quarter mile times.

The unibody may not be able to support high towing payloads, but I hope Ford remedies this. I'm thinking strategic reinforcement of the chassis and beefed up suspension on towing packages. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for the Explorer yet.

Back