The Explorer Lean (already tried search) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Explorer Lean (already tried search)

shibby_cbs

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
so i have the infamous explorer lean and i already know that replacing the leafs will fix this as i can already tell that on leaf is compressed more than the other...what i was wondering was if it was possable to leave the leafs in and just replace the shocks with load bearing coilovers...what do you think...is this a possability

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive been a member of quite a few forums in the past few years and the search function has never really worked out for me...maybe its just me...i tried the search function but didnt really come up with anything...thanks for taking your time to link me to a few threads

well it looks like i am going to do a leaf swap for a temp fix...i am still curiouse about using coilovers

no problem! Thats all the more helpful I'm gonna be on this topic, hopefully someone else will chime in soon. oh! and welcome to the forum!

you can do the si de to side leaf swap. just install new leafs or put in new rear shackles.

My experiences with load leveling shocks would tell me not to go there. Tried Monroe's best last month on an 80's El Camino against my better judgement and there still the same. Some additional spring rate but absolutely no dampening. I'm sure there are some out there but you will pay what new springs would cost.

Anyone tried these?

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/products/Ford_Light_Duty_Replacement_Leaf_Spring-1281-37.html

(91-01) Ford Explorer, Rear
43-967 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 3/1 Lvs 3/360 1/590 1,250 Lbs Capacity
Price: $119.64
Product ID: 43-967

43-967HD 2-1/2(W)X25-11/16(S.E.)X30-5/16(L.E.) 4/1 Lvs 4/360 1/590 1,700 Lbs Capacity
Price: $149.64
Product ID: 43-967HD

i dont know if its related but my suspension is rock hard in the back as well...feels like my leafs were replaced with bricks

What I mean by no dampening is they are very soft. You could bounce the rear of the car 2-3 inches without much efort. Reminded me of a mid 70's LTD car with worn shocks. I want more control and feel than that. The lady who owned the El Camino agreed and wanted different shocks soon.
BTW in my previous post, there are two different springs (rates) listed. The top or the 1250 pound springs should be OEM replacements while the 1700 pound springs are a HD upgrade. I'm leaning as well and I'll go this route. Just don't if I'll go with the 1250 or 1700 springs. My Ex has a rear GRVW of 2950 which is between the two choices. I have a trailer package but I doubt it included stiffer springs. My ride is pretty harsh for one's in the back seat on rough roads as it is which would cause me to choose the 1250's. Only once a year do I plan to pull the trailer heavy. Most times it will be loaded with brush and a riding mower.

so i have the infamous explorer lean and i already know that replacing the leafs will fix this as i can already tell that on leaf is compressed more than the other...what i was wondering was if it was possable to leave the leafs in and just replace the shocks with load bearing coilovers...what do you think...is this a possability

Do you have 2 door 4? is it a 4x4?

Swapping leafs packs from side to side will not accomplish anything but make it lean the other way or make it sag real bad. An add a Leaf will help some but you will still have the worn out leafs. One of the best mods/repairs I've done has been replacing the leaf packs with ones from an F150. I couldn't stand the rear sagging look, this mod gave it a forward tilt and looks much better.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035&highlight=F150+Leaf+Spring

It's a very cheap way to go ($40 total) plus it gives you much more load capacity and a few inches lift.

Here's a before and after pic.

Explorer_017.jpg
Explorer3.jpg

Here's one with plenty of room for the new 31's

24908370033_large.jpg

you seem to be the only one who is sayin a swap wont work...im unemployed right now so spending any type of money isnt an option unless its absolutely needed...its a 4 door 4x4...so are you sayin the f150 leaf packs will fix the lean as well?...what years f-150 should i be looking for?

Junk yard or local pull-a-part. I went into Pull-a-Part and took them off myself and paid $20 each set. If you don't want to do the F150 pack then get them off a junk X but they could be worn too. I'm not saying it won't work for a temporary fix but it won't fix the worn out springs.

alright cool...i have 31's as well so i may as well go with an f-150 pack...im gonna eventually need a lift up front as well cause the front being lower is gonna drive me crazy

Back