The War Wagon: Slowlyvverot's '93 X Eltee | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The War Wagon: Slowlyvverot's '93 X Eltee

I've been a EF member long enough that I think it's time i put up a registry for my truck. This forum's been a huge help in turning my Ex into what it is today, and I doubt I would even own it if I had never chanced upon EF.

The War Wagon's (DubDub's) story:
1993 Explorer XLT
A4LD, Electronic 4WD, 207k

I traded my old '98 Firebird during the summer of '09 to my dad for his stock 1993 Explorer XLT, because I wanted a vehicle I didn't have to keep clean all the time...AND I had found Explorer Forum a few months prior and I was hellbent on acquiring my pops' truck so I could do all kinds of silly things to it such as a SAS and 40" tires and all kinds of cool technical jargon I didn't understand (And still sorta don't :rolleyes:)

The old:
4824_102044681923_571006923_2618571_2202661_n.jpg

The good ol' days. but hey this ain't about the Blue Demon...

The New:
6009_105241401923_571006923_2678646_6486456_n.jpg

Taken post-maiden voyage (stuck in 2wd, I might add)

I was a happy kid to own a big lunkhead suv like this after driving such a small 2-door sports car. And I was ready to get this thing in the air.

Before I knew it, I had applied bedliner to odd places like my grille and the sides of my doors, acquired a brushguard and some lighting, slapped my spare tire on the roof and bolted a 109" whip to my rear bumper. I was going crazy with my truck, which my dad had come to call "the War Wagon." I prefer DubDub :p: (War Wagon= WW= "doubleyooo doubleyooo= DubDub...get it?!)
And best of all I loved wheeling with it wherever I could. Still stuck in 2wd...hadn't found out how to fix my electronic 1354 yet.
7329_143500226923_571006923_3235531_4269912_n.jpg

Next came a set of lift shackles for the rear to give DubDub a good 2" boost back there since the springs had sagged a bit. By this point in time I had realized that I was not afraid to cut sheet metal and cut out some rocker rust and the chrome panels behind the rear wheel well in case I needed clearance for my new 31's. Turns out I didn't need it back there, but the front was a different story...
11047_175438431923_571006923_3514932_2950773_n.jpg

The outside lugs on my new 31x10.5 TSL's would reach out and grab the inner fender inside my front wheel wells pretty often so I knew I had to do some trimming up there eventually. I also went ahead and bought myself some 15x8 soft 8's for my new meats. DubDub was a happy truck! :)

Over the next few months things came and went such as more lights, a roof rack, winter, and the outside edges of my bumpers. Even stuck in 2 wheel peel (that's right, still hadn't cracked open my tcase :rolleyes:), the TSL's helped me get around in the snow more than a few times.
17054_279641101923_571006923_4038611_1580422_n.jpg

20254_308278461923_571006923_4128246_6164709_n.jpg

Once spring hit, I knew it was time to work on my truck some more. I ended up getting myself some 2" skyjacker coils, taking my doors off a few times, and doing some much-needed fender trimming.
26975_356789076923_571006923_4278139_5898885_n.jpg

24468_380654476923_571006923_4412839_567039_n.jpg

By this time, my 31's were starting to get pretty worn down so I needed new tires. And I thought to myself "Now, while I'm at it, why don't I try and get some 33s in them thar wheel wells?" (A smart man would've attempted to fix his transfercase, but nooo I wanted bigger tires) Ideas about drop bracket lifts and body lifts came and went in my mind but in the end I just resorted to defacing my front fenders even more.
37591_412159916923_571006923_5259482_2240222_n.jpg

64674_436825691923_571006923_5898416_3410214_n.jpg

And WALA! I ended up with 33x12.5 MTRs on 2" of lift, and generously trimmed front fenders. no rubbing at all on the street, and only the rears rub off road when i flex the 8.8 too far (The ttb don't flex all that far though anyway). I was po (poor) and had to save $$$ for school in the fall so I only regeared the rear axle. With my old 31s I had my stock 3.73 gears but I wanted a bit more power with the 33s so I went with 4.88s. I'm glad I went that low because I love the way this thing can turn the tires now.

So basically up until this point I've built a pretty cool mallcrawler which I like to beat on and get dirty sometimes.

Summer came and went and school didn't work out so I'm stuck with a great new job now and the money will be flowing out my pockets and into new parts for my Ex. My plans/priorities/dreams are as follows:

I'd like to get a drop bracket lift (I'm leaning towards a 6" skyjacker) and SOA the rear so I can stuff some 35s, maaaaybe 36's or 37's under my truck and wheel the snot out of it. I'm generally easy and careful with my truck whenever I do take it offroad so I feel like with the right internals and the lack of a locker, I could make the d35 stand up to such big tires. I might go with a 2" bodylift/coil spacers and lift leaf pack if I decide to go the 37" route. Time will tell.

In the end (if that ever comes?), I want my truck to (at least) sit something like this:

D35
-Aussie locked
-Pushed forward 1 inch
-4/6" skyjacker drop brackets
-Skyjacker RA's
-Fullsize coils
-F250 shock towers
-James Duff coil buckets
-Passenger beam window, clearanced
-Warn Jeep hubs
-Spicer 5760X Ujoints

-SOA
-Disk brake swap
-Super 88 kit
-Relocated shock mounts
-Solid diff cover

Misc-
Sliders
RLC front/rear bumpers
Smittybuilt xrc8
35"-37" meats

Wayyyy down the line, after this suspension is finished:
Chop top
Yellow paint job with bedlined lower doors (like it is now)
Exocage with boatsides

Hopefully I can get start working on this thing again and start wheeling it a lot more than I have been! Any and all comments, advice and criticisms are welcome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I swapped my auto hubs to manuals today. It wasn't a very hard job at all, considering I've never taken apart a locking hub assembly before. The hardest part was probably getting that little wedge driven down the channel on the spindle so I could get the last nut off the spindle. The auto hub cams were both shattered to bits when I removed them. Pieces of junk. I had to get my dad to help me hold the spindle nut socket while i torqued the nut to 150 ft/lbs though. other than that it was a 1-man job :thumbsup:

noob question-i'm going to order some 5760x ujoints. dunno if the ones in my shafts are seized or not since my pop cant remember the last time he used the 4wd. i was gonna upgrade them anyway. Do I need 3? one for each front shaft, right? what about the front driveshaft? are all the ujoints on my truck the same?

edit: also, another thing on my mind lately, how do manual hubs usually break? Specifically what part of the assembly.

makes a good wheel spacer.

haha. I got my truck back from the shop today. 4.88s installed in the D35, sittin pretty on new 33" MTZs. I realize I have never really known what "tread" actually was until I saw the deep lugs in these bad boys.

163039_485582396923_571006923_6673838_4757695_n.jpg

The sad thing is though, that the guy who set up my gears thinks Torqmasters sent me the wrong locker. He said there wasn't near enough room in the carrier to install it properly and he wrestled with it for over an hour. My box and receipt for the locker both state it is XD-13527, which is for the D35. I checked the picture on the website and it matches what I have. So i dunno what to do. Should I send it back to TM or take it to another shop and see what they say?

For sure! I'm excited to try this thing out.

I just realized I've been erroneously saying I'm going to fix my transfer case when I've been meaning to say I have to fix the shift motor. so I will do that this weekend.

Great looking truck! Things can happen and things can get mislabeled. Give torquemaster a call and see what they say about the part. They would be the only ones who would know what you have in the box. Good luck and keep up with the pictures!

got off work early and attempted to fix my shift motor today. Got it apart and lo and behold I found the stopper bushing obliterated. I replaced it with a piece of vacuum hose:
169001_486037886923_571006923_6680531_1462884_n.jpg

I tore open the other part of the motor and cleaned it out but it got too cold before I could get everything back together again. It's supposed to be 40 tomorrow so I plan on assembling everything once it warms up. I wish there was room in my garage...

Here's a better shot of the MTZs and the gnarly tread pattern. These things are really quiet compared to the other tires I have had. I barely hear them at any speed. Hopefully that doesn't mean they suck in the dirt.
163629_485979861923_571006923_6679956_6228617_n.jpg

Nice looking Ex you got there, let me know about your aussie issue. I been thinking about getting one too.

I read somewhere(i think it was on the pirate about a jeep dana 35 aussie locker) you might have to dremel out the carrier so the locker will fit.

For what it's worth, the dude who did my gears said that no amount of grinding/clearancing was going to make enough room for the locker I gave him. I will send Torq Masters an email tomorrow about the issue and see what they say. If labor for dismantling the ttb wasn't so expensive I'd just take it to another shop and see if they could make it work. Oh well. I'll keep you posted.

I hate the shift motor. SOOO much.

I put everything back together this morning and it worked! huzzah! I engaged both 4hi and 4lo several times before i drove a minute to a hill i knew I couldn't tackle in 2wd. got there and 4hi wouldnt engage.... :mad:

I drove back to my house and spent the next hour or two taking off the motor and fooling around with the positioning of the sensor and gear selector, then putting the motor back on. after a few times of getting stuck in 4lo or not getting anything at all, i put it in 2hi and gave up for the day. I am so frustrated and my neck is killing me.

If anyone wants to buy me a manual 1354 I'll be your best friend. I'll crawl under the truck and manually shift the case before I ever work on the shift motor again.
sdhgfasdhifsghjhsdfg

i went back to that hill and manually shifted the case into 4hi and man...4wd feels good. i made it up and over no problem. didn't get a chance to try out 4lo since i couldnt press the brakes and shift the case at the same time haha

163445_486371171923_571006923_6684629_1134214_n.jpg

I wanna go wheeling.

I was thinking do you know how your installer tried to install your locker?

Did he assembled it as a whole unit then tried to put it in your carrier case or did he tried to installed it in sections llike your suppose to do.

I just trying to figure out if the part numbers are right for your truck and it doesn't fit......doesn't make sense. Unless it was packaged wrong when it was sent to you....:rolleyes:

Have you seen the Shiftster product that bolts on in place of your transfer case shift motor? You manually turn the dial to shift your t-case in gear and you won't have to worry about those pesky t-case motors.
Its looks like a good product but I wouldn't like to crawl under my dirty ass truck to shift it but thats just me.........lol......

The way he was explaining things to me, it sounded like he installed the individual parts one by one, not the locker as a whole :/

I have heard and looked into the Shiftster, but I don't see why anyone would want it when you can just use the gear from the shift motor (the thing in the first picture in Post #72 above) to turn the shaft in the first place. and that is free and achieves the same thing. I have looked into some people making other manual shifting mechanisms for the 1354E but I have no problems getting filthy so I will just keep crawling under my truck unless I find a bangin' deal on a 1354M. and I need to buy some seat covers haha.

There is a junkyard in Charlotte that has a 1354m. I believe they wanted 100 or 120 for it. I got the shifters and dual shifter boot combo off it but the case is still there.

Back