• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Housings

Threnners

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V6
Since my 06 just ate another one, I was wondering if anyone is using the metal fabricated ones that are available on Ebay for the Explorer on theirs, and if so, what's been your experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with the cast metal version, working well and much better improvement.

The Plastic Dorman version from Amazon, lasted about 6 weeks.

the design is bad..... to remedy this problem if yours is splitting between the layers where the t-stat is located you need to use longer bolts and nuts to pinch the 3 layers together because the factory bolts only hold the neck and the middle layer.... the bottom is only held together at the back where it bolts to the intake manifold...... you can even take the leaky one and pop it apart add sealant and bolt it back together and its good for who knows how long... I bought my 07 with a leaky housing replaced it with one from ebay for less than $15 and its giving no signs of failing ever again..... this is well worth the try since the bolts and nuts from a hardware store are way cheaper than that really over priced metal unit

Mine was leaking on the bottom at the manifold. The tabs crack around the gasket were it sits in the manifold.

Back