Thinking about SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about SAS

OK, so here is my dilema. I use my truck to play with, but it's also my ride to work when the weather is bad. I think an SAS would make my wheeling expereinces better but I'm still concerned about keeping the functionality for the rest of the week.

Problem #1 driveability) It seems like Ford and other manufactures switched to IFS for a reason, because it handles better on the hard ball. My wife drives my explorer periodically and she complains about the way it handles now, I couldn't imagine how much she would complain if it handled worse. (and we all know after the first year of marriage, it's the husband's job to keep the wife's complaints to a minimum :p: )

Problem #2 Ride height) My wife complains about how high it is now :rolleyes: and I have about 3" of clearance in the parking garage where I work as it is. I'm not really keen on the idea of airing down my tires just to park every day.

Problem #3 Experience) I've never seen a conversion done, I've seen plenty of threads but everybody has their own way of doing things, opinions of what is better, etc.

Problem #4 What to use?) D44? Rubicon? EB? I'd rather not use a full width. I'd like to keep my bolt pattern the same. Coils or leafs (this probably plays into my ride height dilema too)

Problem #5 Cost) Like anybody else, I have a 96 Explorer that I paid 2k for, I don't want to spend 4k on an SAS. I've seen a couple D44's for between 3 and 800 on CL and such. I've poked around and seen the prices on some other stuff in other threads (some are very time consuming to read.)

Cliff notes, I want to do a low, cheap, decent handling SAS. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly (i hate to say this) but if i were in your shoes i would just leave it as-is. If you're going to keep it really low and 33's or smaller id just get a locker for the front and stock up on junkyard CV shafts. It will be alot cheaper in the long run.

You can get a SAS'd Explorer to handle decent but "decent" is a relative term and i get the feeling you are going to spend alot of time and money building something that your wife is going to cuss you for. :D If you're dead set on SAS id say spring-under and a sway bar should handle fairly well.

As for cost, i wouldnt worry about the axle price itself... what you spend buying the actual axle is microscopic compared to what the total SAS winds up costing.

As for cost, i wouldnt worry about the axle price itself... what you spend buying the actual axle is microscopic compared to what the total SAS winds up costing.

x342

My axle was only 4% of what my entire project costs. Actually, I forgot about my new ARB. Make that 3.3%. :(

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep looking around at all the stuff nescecary and keep weighing my options. I just don't want to be out on a trail in 20 degree weather changing an axel or having to get towed home because I bent a knuckle again.

Back