• Register Today It's free!

Thumping sound please help!!

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I am getting a "thumping" noise in my front end of my 94 XLT. It seems to be coming from the driver's side. We have replaced everything except for the tie rod ends. It has new ball joints, both sides upper and lower, new brakes, new bearings, new u-joints, manual hubs. Everything is pretty much brand new except as I mentioned, tie rod ends. I have checked the radius arm bushings and they are good, I even filled the differential, it was low but I filled it and it still makes this "thumping"! I am going crazy! ANYONE know what else I can check? I don't even have the manual hubs locked in and I still get the "thumping." It is pretty consistent at all speeds but you really hear and feel it when I coast. Please help!

P.S. I even thought it was the tires so I rotated them and I am still getting the "thumping."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had exactly the same issue. I replaced everything as the truck was new to me. It turned out the tires were cupped in front due to an alignment issue. I also moved the tires from front to back. It basically moved the thumping to the rear where it is more tolerable for now.

You may try putting some known "good" tires on and see if it eliminates the noise. Tires can be cupped all around and be tough to detect visually...But the noise is irritating!

I agree, the noise is definitely irritating. I have rotated the tires but it could still be them. I will have to try to get new ones maybe and try that. Thank you!

Maybe try and borrow some tires or swap off another vehicle with no issues before spending big $$$ on new ones just to be sure?

Yea, that is a good idea, I will try to find someone. Thanks!

Back