Time for tires | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to get new tires for my XLT. I live in New England. Not driving much now due to COVID, but used to drive 50-80 mi. per day commuting to work. Suggestions? Don't pull trailer, no off-roading.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There should be some good info in this thread. As for me, I use dedicated Winter tires when the season rolls around (getting them on tomorrow) and find that it makes a big difference in Winter type weather. There are also All Weather tires now that can be used all year round, unlike the so-called all-seasons.

Peter

I need to get new tires for my XLT. I live in New England. Not driving much now due to COVID, but used to drive 50-80 mi. per day commuting to work. Suggestions? Don't pull trailer, no off-roading.

As a fellow MA resident, I have decided to get Michelin Defenders. Haven’t gotten them yet, but will soon.

This week has been busy. Maybe next week.

Getting my Michelin Defenders on Wednesday.

Im from Florida. Once a year we drive north to Wisconsin during January.

Im looking at
1. Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2
2. Yokohama Geolandar G055
3. Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

I have had good experience with Yokohama with my previous cars.

Any inputs/experiences shared is highly appreciated.

2016 Explorer Limited 4WD

Im looking at

Blizzak are only for winter.

Im looking at

I just had my DM-V2 tires installed again for Winter. Very happy with them. Had Yokohama Spec-X on my 2011 and they were great. One thing you can do is check actual customer reviews on a site like Tire Rack.

Peter

Got them done this morning. Very happy, smooth and quiet ride.
I need tires the kumono crugen i had lasted only 30 k. but i did some suspension issues as i hit 177k so maybe that contributed to it.
so let us know how it is in the new England area.

Getting my Michelin Defenders on Wednesday.
Did your limited come with Hankooks? Mine has the Ventus Noble 2, 255/50R20, with 29k miles and the tread still looks great. Are the Michelin all season, and what was the cost installed if yah don't mind? I have Michelin Latitude on my Equinox, they kinda suck in the rain. Not worried about snow as we don't get much in Missouri, plus I only drive this on the weekends. Its not my daily driver. 16053113871989107446073272082012.jpg

Did your limited come with Hankooks? Mine has the Ventus Noble 2, 255/50R20, with 29k miles and the tread still looks great. Are the Michelin all season, and what was the cost installed if yah don't mind? I have Michelin Latitude on my Equinox, they kinda suck in the rain. Not worried about snow as we don't get much in Missouri, plus I only drive this on the weekends. Its not my daily driver.View attachment 324169

It did come with them. My Hankooks were between 5 and 6 mm. But the sides were way worn down.

I had a pic of when I got the EXP and from a little bit ago and the difference was a lot.

On my 16 EXP I replaced the Hankooks at almost the same mileage. They aren't made to last forever.

With winter coming here I wanted to be ready so I just got new tires. I did feel some slipping on wet pavement with the Hankooks.

I am very happy with the Defenders.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer limited and needing new tires.
I’m looking for a all season or all weather/mud and snow set that is good in all Canadian weather. Also looking for tires that ride good with low to no noise on the roads.
255/50R20

I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Defender LTX (80k miles out of the 1st set) on my 16 Sport and installed a set on my wife's 18 Edge. They don't look very aggressive, but work extremely well in the snow, wet and dry.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer limited and needing new tires.
I’m looking for a all season or all weather/mud and snow set that is good in all Canadian weather. Also looking for tires that ride good with low to no noise on the roads.
255/50R20
For tires that are good in all Canadian weather, you'd actually be better off with a dedicated setup in addition to a set of non-winter tires. Forget about so-called all-seasons up here as the cold temps will stiffen them up resulting in a loss of traction. There are more all-weather tires available now but you are likely still looking at some trade-offs. I ran 18" wheels/tires in place of my 255/50R20's for winter driving.

Peter

in the mid-Atlantic where I live the Michelin Defender LTX was the best combination of features I could find and promise long life. Had them on for a year so far with no regrets.

I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with stock Hankook P255-50R20 tires and they are almost completely wore at 21K miles. I bought the car used with 7,900 miles on it and I'm shocked these tires wore down so fast. I do live in Upstate NY in Ithaca and our winters and roads are HORRIBLE but still this was surprising.

That said I clearly need new tires and was considering the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. Mavis has them at $218/tire. Does anyone have these tires on their Explorer? The get great ratings on Mavis and Tirerack.

The Michelin Defender's are about $30 more installed after all the discounts at Mavis.
https://www.mavistire.com/tire-brands/michelin/defenderltxms/2555020/39387/

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you use the 'Search' feature at the top right and look for 'Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus' in this thread you will about 9 posts on these tires. Living where you do, I personally would use dedicated winter tires. I use them all the time for that season.
The stock Hankooks are not known for decent mileage and they are actually not Hankook's SUV tire but a passenger car tire.

Peter

I have a 2012 Limited with its second set of Hankook Optimo H426 P255/50R20 that need to be replaced.
I'm told that if anyone has those tires, they are probably old inventory that has been sitting for a while.

Is that true and does Hankook not make them anymore?

If so, what brand is most similar to those?

My mechanic got me prices for:
Ventis S1 253
Dynap 226

Costco also has tons out there.

Which ones would you recommend ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread was merged with this one. I think you may be only among a handful of members that actually replaced Hankook tires with another set of Hankook tires. Just check their website and you will see the H426 is still available but not the Optimo which I believe was just available on new vehicles. As for the Ventus model, there are many versions of it. The Ventus Noble 2 has many issues shown on this site. I think you likely meant Dynapro for the other tire. Personally, I think you can much better with other brands. I always try to get an idea of what others have experienced by reading the reviews of customers on various tire sites.

Peter

Back