Time to get my bed back, building my swing out tire carrier... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to get my bed back, building my swing out tire carrier...

*high five* awesome job

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a picture of it painted gloss black but I may change this later to Satin black (the primer I used was flat black and it looked better then gloss.

(dead links)

I added more picture to the PB album.

I have the carrier in the house drying tonight so I should have it mounted tomorrow.

Looks great, can't wait to see it mounted w/ a tire :)

Come springtime or summer I may just build my Steel bumper with a new carrier and sell this one. If I do that I'd sell the complete rear bumper so the buyer could just bolt everything right onto their Trac. I made the welds onto the bodylift bumper brackets and not the frame just for that reason, always plan ahead!! Now off to get some bearing grease and mount this as long as the paint is dry.

Finally installed, just need to fabricate a "lock open" latch for it so it will stay in one position when open.

Here's a couple pictures and there's more in the album...
(dead links)

Looks awesome. It'll be nice having room in the again i bet.

Oh yeah !!!
(dead links)

I must say, that's an awesome job Jerry ! ! It looks at least as good as a factory set-up, if not better.:notworthy

Haha, it looks better than that wood one you had built too!:biggthump

Is it heavy? I wouldn't think that would affect your MPG's any would it.. it's probably about the same as that basket, probably less..? Is it sagging any in the rear?

Zero sag in the rear, surprisingly it's not that heavy. I think the 3/8" thick mounting brackets that I welded to the body lift bumper brackets weigh as much as the carrier itself. It'll only help out in the winter for traction. The spare tire is alot heavier itself then the carrier and everything else.

Here's a couple of pictures of it open before it was painted. I'll get some better ones later when I go outside...
(dead links)

i hear ya, it looks sick! very good job on it.

(dead links)

Since I built the swing out tire carrier I've been using a nut and bolt to secure the secondary latch.

Finally redrilled a hitch pin I had laying around for my secondary latch. I had to use my step drill bits to drill out the holes bigger to fit the hitch pin and drilled a hole in the bumper for the hitch pin to go down into.

(dead links)

Looks great!!!
Hey, we have to do breakfast in Cranberry again sometime. I'm recovered enough from my rotator cuff surgery that I can drive a bit.

Yeah definetly gonna have to get together again. Might have to wait 'til next month, money's tight right now with the new addition to the family (Matthew). It'll give us time to get other members together.

Yeah definetly gonna have to get together again. Might have to wait 'til next month, money's tight right now with the new addition to the family (Matthew). It'll give us time to get other members together.

:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No prob, I'm only moving at about 30% speed right now anyway.

Back