Timing Advance? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Advance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my take on this. Take your chip out do three pulls on the dyno send me the datalogs slong with the a/f ratio and I will custom tune you a SCT ExCal2 programmer. By the way guys the knock sensor will only be able to pull so much timing. So if you add lets say 10* over stock with 87 octane (for example) then you will definately get detonation. One reason the chip may not be working is because in some Explorers the "jumpers" arent soldered in where the chip mounts to the circuit board, but usually when you have this as a problem you will get a no start situation. Stranger things have happened.- James

Contact me via email hensonperformance@bham.rr.com and I will talk to you about some used equipment I have.

Did your tuner turn your knock sensors off before advancing the timing? If he didn't, he just wasted your time and money. The knock sensors will detect detonation long before your ear hears it and retard the timing back. When I tuned my Mach, we dialed back the sensitivity of the knock sensors about 50% because they were over-sensitive and putting a dip in my power curves.

SCT XCal2 or Diablosport Predator (NOT the chip) are the ways to go. Use whichever one you can find a good tuner for. I personally have a Predator, but would probably go XCal2 or Livewire if I had to do it over again.

Mach1 and 99-01 Cobra's have overly sensitive knock sensors (crappy). I always "desensitize" them. The Explorer has a really good knock sensor I haven't desensitized mine at all and with the meth I run 23.5*-24* timing (remember mine is boosted)and get around a 1/16* of knock sensor activity-retard. Can't hear this but it is there. Turn the meth off and this thing will definately pull the timing.

yeah, what he just said!

195hp with the chip Al.

I don't know if he turned off the knock sensor, but he is supposedly a seasoned proffesional and endorsed by the Diablosport folks.

I would be surprised if he was doing tunes without knowing what to do.

I might want to give him a boot in the ass for stealing $600 from me.

Are you ever going to post your dyno data? If not tell us so.

I told you about the numbers in a past thread.

I told you about the numbers in a past thread.

But we have yet to see the data. Without the graph, Al (among others) will never believe your numbers. Is posting the dyno graph really too much to ask?

He's waiting for me and Lazz should get ready to post cuss I'll have something real soon.

Lazz - I posted a chart. You're turn.

Can we infer from your lack of posting the dyno charts and your unwillingness to discus the dyno session that it never happened?

that's what I think.

Back