• Register Today It's free!

timing belt broke

KyBucks10

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
hey guys. this is my first post on this forum but i have a question. my timing belt broke yesterday and im praying that my motor is not an interference motor. i drive a 95 ranger xlt. 2.3. its all stock, no mods. can someone please relieve me and let me know if im going to have to worry about valves.

addition information. when the belt broke, i was idling at a stop sign. my hope is that if it is an interference motor, that since i had such low rmps, that i wont have to worry about valves.

thanks to all in advance for any help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can hear the interference motors when they bend those valves...

Gates has a note on their timing belt selector when the engine is interference one. Not sure how accurate is, but your 2.3L is not listed as such.

Your safe, broken several over the years, it doesnt hurt'em :party:

Gates table

You can hear the interference motors when they bend those valves...

Gates has a note on their timing belt selector when the engine is interference one. Not sure how accurate is, but your 2.3L is not listed as such.

I believe that table is only accurate for belt driven engines such as Volvo. It is well known that the Ford SOHC V6 is an interference engine but there is no annotation indicating that in the table.

Although not necessarily on topic I felt it might help others who do have an interference engine. Several weeks ago I changed a broken timing belt on a 2004 nissan frontier. It has the 3.3L V-6 in it and yes it is an interference engine. My buddy was idling at a stop light and went to accelerate when it let go. We decided it was worth a $30 gamble for a new belt just to see what happens and all was well. So if they break at idle, don't throw the towel in before you try a new one because you might be pleasantly surprised as we both were.

thanks a lot guys! going to tackle the timing belt this weekend. cant wait to get back in my danger ranger! ha! im tired of driving around my friends little sentra. good gas mileage but i miss my ranger!

Just checked to see how the 4.0 liter engine is driven...timing chain! Bet it is an interference engine if it does break. Now I just have to figure out if mine is the SOHC or pushrod motor!

thanks a lot guys! going to tackle the timing belt this weekend. cant wait to get back in my danger ranger! ha! im tired of driving around my friends little sentra. good gas mileage but i miss my ranger!

My 94 2.3 broke last year. Didn't harm a thing. Was a pain in the but to get timed back correctly. I still have a back fire every now and again. When you line up the arrows and get the belt on turn it over a couple times and recheck timing marks. I didn't the first time and had to go back in to fix the trimming a month or so later.

Back