How to: - Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Yes, her car has the automatic 4wd system (which I hate!). I wish it had a constant 2wd selector that you could put it in to disengage the front drive shaft and axle from spinning. Certainly would increase the mpgs that the car would get.

Where would the balance shaft be and is it something simple or easy to fix? At this point, we are even considering looking for another vehicle for my wife as we have kind of out grown the Explorer. It used to be a good car with young kids but now that they are getting older, more luggage is needed and the space in the back gets smaller and smaller. We rarely can use the third row seating anymore. lol.
There's a photo in post 30 of this thread that shows the balance shaft chain tensioner. Swapping the tensioner is not easy because so much must be removed to access it. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of work just to determine if it has failed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner took me 8 hours taking my time
i recommend any kind of pre oiler as it will keep all the timing chains tight on startup
when there is low oil pressure ...this is when these parts break most of the time...IMO...
this will keep all 3 of the chains tight and from slapping around on startup after you fix the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner

The noise is not during start up but when driving between 2500-3000 Rpm's

I don't. I suspect one of the problems is the time for oil to reach the chains, guides and tensioner after engine start. Using full synthetic oil should reduce the time to achieve adequate lubrication. But I have no data to prove that it will extend the life of the guides. The main problem in my opinion is a poor design that utilizes a plastic type material that becomes brittle after lengthy exposure to high temperatures. Plastic type material should never be used for structural strength internal to an engine. It should only be used on the chain sliding surfaces to prevent metal to metal contact. I installed a pre-oiler to prevent "dry" starts but I doubt that significantly increases the life of the rear cassette guide that is not reinforced with metal on the traction side.
4L2Z-6M290-AA.jpg

DSCN8608.jpg

Hello. Resurrecting an old thread again. I got 04 explorer 4.0 v6. I get the chain rattle at startup then it goes away. engine has 132K miles on it. It runs fine. I'm thinking of installing one of these
AutoEngineLube Pre-Lube Kits.Some guys here seem to say that it took care of its startup rattle which in turn would prolong the life of cassettes and guides, you would think. Does anyone know if there is any video's or right ups on how to install and what size to get by any members here? Thanks!

Thanks for the video 2000StreetRod. You don't happen to know if there are any write ups or pics on someone doing this on the explorer 4.0 v6? Thank You!

You don't happen to know if there are any write ups or pics on someone doing this on the explorer 4.0 v6?

I remember one forum member who considered installing that type accumulator but I don't know if he ever did. One member installed an electric pump driven pre-oiler who documented the installation. I prefer an electric pump pre-oiler instead of my Accusump accumulator. With an accumulator a total oil change is followed by an engine dry start. An electric pump pre-oiler allows pressurizing the oil system prior to engine start after an engine rebuild.

My '02 4.0 timing chains sounds completely in disarray. The mechanic said engine failure is imminent and its not worth fixing.
Ive got 228,000 on it and emotionally I cant let it go to scrap. After reading about the 4.0 SOHC engine, it appears this was a long time coming and I should be fortunate I got as many miles as I did. I don't want to let go of this car but after 2 separate mechanics told me I might as well replace the engine if I wanted to keep driving the vehicle, Im not sure if that's the best option. Does anyone have any interest in diagnosing the sound? Please PM me

If you're not mechanically experienced and don't have the needed tools it will probably be less expensive to pay a mechanic to replace the engine rather than repair it. Many mechanics are not familiar with the complicated procedure to replace the cassettes and retime the camshafts but are capable of removing and installing the engine.

I found a local shop that pulled the same engine out of an explorer that was totalled and would replace it for $1200. After reading and experincing the timing chain failure in my original, i asked if they had the ability to replace the timing chains and cassettes and retime the camshafts in the replacement motor as a preventive measure which they happily did. I was out the door with a new heart in my Black Beauty for $1525 and i couldnt be happier. I dont ever remember my truck sounding and feeling and driving so good.

BTW, found the engine advertised on CL, WHO KNEW!!!

I have an 03 Explorer Sport Trac with the 4.0 and have had a hell of a time the the rattle. I had all guides chains and tensioners replaced at about 180k miles because it was rattling at most starts and wanted to do it before it was a new engine. However it has gone back to the shop 4 times to have everything completely re-done. The shop says the next step would be inspecting heads ( they have done an oil pressure test and everything was good) I now have amsoil 10w30 and an oil sample kit (to make sure the engine is not eating itself alive). Now the idle is there all the time at idle and is loud as sh*t but goes away at 2,000 RPM. Im about at the point of getting a junkyard block and just build it little by little. from your original post do you think it could be from the crankshaft tensioner? (I think thats what it was but thats three pages back)

Does your engine have a balance shaft? Most of the vehicles with 4 wheel drive do. If so, was the balance shaft chain tensioner replaced at 180K miles? Your symptoms sound like either the balance shaft chain tensioner or the crankshaft to jackshaft chain tensioner. Did your shop use quality parts? Some of the parts available on eBay are junk. Even using Ford parts I had a short duration start up rattle after my cassette replacements. That's why I installed a pre-oiler.

Does your engine have a balance shaft? Most of the vehicles with 4 wheel drive do. If so, was the balance shaft chain tensioner replaced at 180K miles? Your symptoms sound like either the balance shaft chain tensioner or the crankshaft to jackshaft chain tensioner. Did your shop use quality parts? Some of the parts available on eBay are junk. Even using Ford parts I had a short duration start up rattle after my cassette replacements. That's why I installed a pre-oiler.
Mine is a 2wd and everything is motocraft from ford. The first set of tensioners were some aftermarket brand and they were replaced after a week.

Well it's been a while installable lube still works every time thanks explorer forum

It's been a while for me too. Sad news on this end. With the help of this thread, I was able to replace the cassettes and a bunch of other odds and ends, had to do a valve job while I was at it (about $1000 in parts). The engine ran good for about three months and then something in the lower end blew :(. I don't see any oil on the ground but when it runs it sounds like a bunch of rocks in a garbage disposal. Not sure I want to put any more into this engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I replaced my shoc 4.0 bc of valve chatter and that noise be for I installed the pre lube system but I reinstalled the pre luber because why not with the pre lube the engine has oil pressure be for it is started new engine has 700 miles on it wish me luck lol

Back