FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Hey guys,
I dropped O/D in my '93 this weekend and progessively lost the rest. Transmission is getting rebuilt over the next few days. Besides adding a shift kit, are there any other tips that would prevent further problems? This is my 2nd dead tranny - 1st died at 76k and this one at 113k (yes - on 37k on this one). I don't even abuse the things!

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Kenwood Audio
Rancho RS5000's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many rebuilders will take short cuts expecting you to get rid of the vehicle before it breaks again. Or just take the hit. If they do it enough times they can be money ahead.

Ask them what they do in a rebuild, and what they replace. Interview other shops to compare notes. Ask for the replaced parts for your inspection. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions.

Good Luck!

Barnstomer.
I have it in now with a mechanic I trust. A different one form the last shop. This guy is replacing solenoids, governors, bands, clutch plates, adding a shift kit and doing basically anything else that needs to be done. I told him I don't want it to break again under normal conditions - costing about 2k to do it, but should be in good shape by tomorrow!

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Kenwood Audio
Rancho RS5000's

Hey Jon,

Sorry to hear about your tranny. Let me know who your new mechanic is as I am sure I will need one soon. What kind of shift kit did you go with? I was looking at the B&M options the other day.

Best regards.
hg

Hank,
I use Franklin's Automotive on the corner of Cypress Lake and McGregor. Not sure on type of shift kit, but I will let you know when it's done. Could be as early as today.

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Kenwood Audio
Rancho RS5000's

Jon,
Good show. About $2K is what I paid for mine. They said that if it breaks before the next 100K, they will significantly discount any repairs. They wrote it down! - Looks like my son will get a good deal.

Holding tight

------------------
Barnstormer
'91 stock 4X4

Back