Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did a little TT up front. I may do a little more tonight. I've got about 6" from the top of my tire to the fender in the front. I asked Paraphoe what he has and he said 9". My back tires are around 7". When I cranked them up last night, in the garage they were sitting close to 7" up front but then I drove it around the block and diagnol over some nearby speed bumps and it settled back down closer to 6". The pic above in my driveway, the front is sitting around 5". Tomorrow is alignment time.

-EDAF-4779-8D4C-C616201F33F2-2323-000001AEB72B718E.jpg

I notice a definite increase in the step-in height. It's a decent step up now.

I also removed the rear sway bar links to see the effect. I noticed backing out of my driveway and onto the street, the swaying back and forth goes on just a bit longer. But going over the speed bumps at an angle felt smoother. Going wheeling this weekend so that will be a great test. In the end, I'll probably modify the end links to make them quick discos..... or just carry the appropriate sized wrench in the truck..... Haven't decided.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Man that looks good, need a winch bumper up front now and you will be set. I really want a bigger lift, but with that being said I have had no issues in the woods with the set up I have now, so more lift will make me do something stupid resulting in broken parts... its a vicious cycle it seems.

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.

Just had to giggle when I read the first line of your registry... :D

Yeah..... Guilty as charged......

And they are fairly minor. No solid axle swaps or manual transfer cases as of yet, but I've been looking online just to go over my options.

There- fixed that for ya. :D

Yeah yeah....

But to be fair, I originally wrote that when this was my daily driver. Now that it gets driven only to tow, go 4wheeling or occasionally drive to work to keep the battery charged and fluids sloshed around.

And 4wheeling is just too much fun not to!

10/18/2012

New Bumper!

Got the new bumper and promptly took it up to the trails and covered it in muddy water:
E491-4867-B97E-8B8342F023BA-14326-000009953CD22FCA.jpg

CDCA-45A8-83ED-E0A235987DBA-14326-0000099522453AEF.jpg

BE5C-42AF-80A2-B4151BC08C6C-14326-000009950AC6C2E3.jpg

8DF3-445F-8062-27C7380DFD72-14326-000009947AA170D7.jpg

I'm really happy with it. It's super solid and custom built so it matches up to the body perfectly.

3/16" thick plate
Diamond plating on top
1" thick shackle tabs that connect directly to the frame

Painted with some rattle can bed liner spray.

Man that looks good! I like the body colored D rings. Nice touch.

Looks great man.

Your truck is sweet man. And the writeups are all really helpful, great layout on the registry. I will be stealing some of your knowledge as my truck needs some freshening under the hood.

Truck looks great! I want 33s, currently running 32s

Hey Tom if you don't mind me asking, how much did the sliders run you?

Not bad at all!

12/7/2012

Snow wheeling! Well, sorta.

I didn't have to work today and I didn't get out on the trails at all in November so I was itching to go.

It's been very dry so far this enter so I wasn't expecting any snow on the trail at all. But soon after we started, snow started falling from the sky and there was snow on the trail- not much: maybe 4" in the deepest spot but most of the trail had just enough snow to cover the ice underneath.

-2F37-4339-8B99-88ED66864313-5763-000003E9CFEA484A.jpg

We tried to go one way that climbed faster than another, but my friend's Silverado just didn't have enough weight over the rear axle and he struggled like crazy. I didn't have any problems but I could tell that chains would certainly help when it gets deeper.

We got to a reservoir and hiked around to let the dogs run. Mine is the gold mut- we aren't sure what he is. I think a pit bull/boxer mix.
-37AA-4E1F-BA04-A91C48C4A2FF-5763-000003EA61AEE49D.jpg

I really didn't mean to snap the picture when they were sniffing butts.... Dogs......

The reservoir was really low (and mostly frozen over):
-17E9-4D39-BFAE-DE5CA9856F5E-5763-000003E9E0A8B416.jpg

Looking back toward the city is blue sky and warmer temps.
-4459-4677-971C-7EDD0615CD59-5763-000003EAB216481B.jpg

-26BF-424F-A458-E74E70D493DE-5763-000003EA975662D0.jpg

I think I need to adjust my photobucket settings so it does knock down the quality so much.

great stuff here. i had a 2nd gen that i kinda miss now that ive seen this build! the trunk organizer stole the show though. nice.

Back