Too many problems 1991 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Too many problems 1991 explorer

SLOW RIDER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 FORD EXPLORER XLT
I having problems with gas smell, loss of power ,and small oil leak it start up fine most of the time, sometimes it sounds like it's trying to cut off idling up and down my problems started on a hot day after taken a ride on the freeway when i got back it was smoking my temp gage didn't work but i'm sure it over heated oil and water was leaking i was told i need a thermostat i replaced it and temp gage start working ,it looked really bad the truck run better but every since the day it over heated its been a strong gas smell and sometimes power loss ,do any one know what it could be please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the gas smell coming from the rear or front of the car because i had a similar problem not to long ago and it was just my fuel line, as for the overheating has the coolant been changed recently. Water leaking sounds like your hoses though. but i'm just going with what i know perhaps some of the more experienced members can give you a better diagnosis.

thanks 4 the reply ,yeah the smell coming from the rear ,when you had the problem did it ever idle up and down and cut off ?

it never cut off but i did have some idle problems.

ok thanks i'm going to check out the fuel lines and change the fuel filter hopefully that solve the problem ,i think it will thanks again .

i changed my fuel filter and so far so good ,no more strong gas smell
it was really easy to replace too

Welcome to the site.

Just remember that this is a 1991 and its older than most new additions to the forum. lol So its going to have its share of problems. Mine is a 1991 and its not in great running condition however it still has some problems from time to time even with new parts.

i have to get a Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator
gasoline coming out of the exhaust and vacuum hose
do you know any where with cheap prices

Back