• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Adjustment

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I was under my X changine the oil and I noticed that the passenger side torsion bar was adjusted with the bolt most of the way out while the drivers side was in prob, 5-8 threads more. The Passenger side adjustment bolt is sticking out of the hole its suppposed to sit in. This isn't normal is it.? I think if I wheel it like it is I'll rip it off or bend it. I though maybe it was to offset the wieght in the gas tank. Also where the torsion bars come through the IFS there is a visible difference. On of the hex head things is in more than the other one. Does Adjusting them in give you lift or drop?

Adjusting them in lifts the vehicle. If there is a large difference in how much each is in, and the truck is level, one torsion bar may be installed wrong. Do a search here on torsion bars. I believe GJarrett did a writeup on having a torsion bar installed wrong and how he corrected it. Note: Having the bar in wrong just means it's off a turn. It is not dangerous and will not cause problems for the truck. It will just cause the adjusters to be at a different position.

The adjusters can and often are at different positions right from the factory.

could this be an alternative to flipping the adjuster itself to get a lower drop? i'd feel better about lowering further if the adjuster was in the position it was intended to be mounted.

Back