• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar bolts bottoming out?

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Just a quick question guys. I was bored today so I figured I would do the old torsion twist in the front of my 99 Ex XLT. No problem, I was gonna do a rotate my tires anyway and figured I would hit the torsion bolts with WD40 and let them soak for a bit while I rotated the tires. Fast forward to post rotation and I go to torque the torsion bolts. I measure the floor height first and get about 1" or maybe 1.25" on the passenger side before the bolt maxes out and bottoms out. Can't tighten it anymore. Ok, I was fine with that amount as I was going to only do about 1.5" of lift. Same thing occurs when I do the driver side. I get a little over an inch and the bolt hits and that's it. I didn't go any more than 3 or 4 full rotations of the bolt, and didn't get anywhere near the 2" max lift.

Question 1: Is it possible that a previous owner torqued the bolts already? The Ex was completely stock (from what I could tell) when I purchased the vehicle from the used dealership.

Question 2: Is it bad to have the bolts maxed out? Will this cause any potential damage? I know that the front end will wear faster if the torsion bars are torqued past the 2"...but I can't tell if they are past that threshold. I know I didn't go over that limit with just my torquing, but if someone had already torqued them already...it's certainly possible that combined, we went over the limit.

I drove it a little after this and it doesn't feel any different. However, the height between the wheel well and the tire does look more spacious...even perhaps more than the 1.25" that I torqued. I did not measure the distance between the tire and wheel well before I did the TT, so I can go off of that. I can only go off my previous floor measurement and current one.

The vehicle does look good, possibly a little better, sitting on the 31" MTs but it could just be an optical illusion. I know I didn't raise it more than 1.25".

By the way, next up is the add-a-leaf (or possibly F-150 leafs).

Thanks guys for any advice.

Back