Torsion bar rubbing

udmsvt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited 5.0 AWD
Just picked up the truck used. Doesn't appear lifted but there's a bit of binding in the front and noticed what appears to be a rubbing torsion bar.

I was under the impression that the bar is supposed to remain relatively centered as it passes through the hole. Pass side is fine, it's just the driver side.

Does it just need to be adjusted to center up or is it likely bent or ?? Help would be appreciated.

I tried reading up on TT but can't seem to find my answer.

7C4C38FD-D5FB-4502-8343-A644A8017B5F.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be straight if both ends are in place then it would be best to replace it.

Is that lower a arm busted right there I could be seeing things but it looks like it's busted and not attached to the pivot bolt.

Should be straight if both ends are in place then it would be best to replace it.

Is that lower a arm busted right there I could be seeing things but it looks like it's busted and not attached to the pivot bolt.

I was going to say the same thing! It appears to me that the lower a arm is not even touching the pivot bolt. If it has rusted through, it needs to be replaced immediately. It's a wonder you haven't been having more serious issues!

It's connected still....bad angle.

photo1-1.jpg

I tried moving the bar and it doesn't have any play....and on looking from the front, the arms on the PS is level but the DS looks a little low. I'm tempted to tweak it up and see what happens but I'm still trying to make heads or tails of this before I go and break something.

I'd say it's it's bent.

The only reasonable solution is a full coilover conversion and torsion bar elimination.
or get one from a scrap yard, couldn't be too expensive.

Judging by the corrosion, the rubber LCA bushings are probably in very poor condition. More pics, both sides for comparison?

Diagnose by lifting the front tires off the ground with jack stands under the frame, to unload the torsion bars. NO cinder blocks.

Judging by the corrosion, the rubber LCA bushings are probably in very poor condition. More pics, both sides for comparison?

Agreed. You need new lower control arms anyway-to replace the factory shocks. WOW, look at the rust. You really need to just bite the bullet(s) and replace the entire front end on that thing. It looks hazardous for you and others on the road.

I doubt the torsion bars themselves are a problem. Get them sandblasted and re coated while you have it all apart please.

I'd say it's it's bent.

The only reasonable solution is a full coilover conversion and torsion bar elimination.
or get one from a scrap yard, couldn't be too expensive.
Unfortunately anything vehicle related is very expensive here in Michigan. The junk yards here want top dollar for the same rusty crap you are trying to replace! I have found it is usually best to just buy new...

And that is the way our vehicles look after about 10 years up here. :(

This was actually in PA until about 2 years ago. Same difference.

I'll get it up on stands this weekend and see how it looks. Hopefully I'll be able to get some decent pics.

Diagnose by lifting the front tires off the ground with jack stands under the frame, to unload the torsion bars. NO cinder blocks.
Sorry, meant to say PARTIALLY unload the t-bars. They are not completely unloaded until the keys
are removed with a two arm puller. Pics would help, especially the LCA bolts, bushings, and frame.

Jaked up the truck this morning...no change. Torqued on the torsion bolt and brought it up about a half inch. I can get a piece of paper in there now but that's about it.

AE52EDC9-9E8B-4011-8F39-8647548568F6.jpg

E0E9AB74-77E8-41E9-8103-B4B82FE9EA32.jpg

A9661472-9C99-40EA-BBF0-11EC83FDECCF.jpg

Did you ever figure this one out?

No I didn't. It's just a toy right now so it's not super pressing.

Back