Torsion Bars Maxed Out - Buy New Bolt?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bars Maxed Out - Buy New Bolt??

macker123

Reaction score
City, State
victoria, bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHV
I just finished installing my shackles on my 97 Sport. Turns out I had to max out my torsion bars to get an even height.

I was wanting to buy some 4-door leafs and then add a leaf, but of course my front is maxed out.

I am not going to worry about it for now if I have to buy spindles as I am already spending to much on the truck.

Can I just buy longer bolts? If so can somebody tell me what size. I have the 97 Sport so I presume all Sports have "D" rated bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can buy longer bolts. I did the same thing back when I was 2WD. Search the site, because I know the size bolts you need are on here somewhere. :D

You talked me into finding it for you... M12X1.75X90mm

That should be your stock size. So you should get some a little longer. Also, before you put them in it is a good idea to ground the tip to a nice round.

just in case u didnt know ....
when your removing torsion bars, use making tape and mark the sides as they come out front/rear driver/pass side if they are installed the wrong way they will snap within a few blocks , they are only made to twist one way if they are twisted the other way they break, i reccomend new ones if u have the means but the old ones work fine

I don't have to remove the bars to install new bolts?? I just unscrew the bolt and screw the new one in, correct?

I don't have to remove the bars to install new bolts?? I just unscrew the bolt and screw the new one in, correct?

Right! :D

If you still have the monoleaf on the rear you might not need those new bolts... I have a 98 and i did the TT/Shackle and because of the monoleaf my truck sagged worse than before i got the shackles. I recently put on the 4 door springs at it evened it out... Im ordering a Double AAL from pro-comp so i get 2 more inches in the back... when everything settles i should have 1-1.5inches higher in the rear than the front.

If you want the double AAL too- you can call 4wheelparts... they dont stock it but i called pro-comp and the part # is 13135.

You can get procomp add a leafs from summit racing. I just ordered some last night and they where 35 dollars with shipping.

Back