Towed to Dealer After Engine Stopped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towed to Dealer After Engine Stopped

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Today I was leaving my house going up a hill and the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. I called Roadside Assistance and they said maybe it is out of gas even though I told them the gauge indicated about 3 gallons left. They sent a tow truck company with 2.5 gallons of gas but it still wouldn't restart and would just crank. It seemed to turn over once or twice but wouldn't stay running. There was no check engine light or messages on the screen or on my FordPass app. So I had it towed to the dealership on a Sunday afternoon and had to Uber home. Now I have to wait for them to check it and call me back hopefully tomorrow. I have 10,827 miles on it after about 11 months of ownership, mostly problem free until today. Before 4,000 miles, I had the check engine light come on twice but a PCM reprogram/reset/update seemed to take care of the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's definitely unusual. Please let us know what the cause of the problem was.

Did you try to start it again after it was delivered to the dealership? Just curious.

Peter

Did you try to start it again after it was delivered to the dealership? Just curious.

Peter

Yes I did and still nothing. The dealership called at 4 pm saying he should know something tomorrow morning when they get it looked at.

Sounds like fuel pump issue.

Sounds like fuel pump issue.
It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

It seems you are correct! They ordered a new fuel pump today and got me in a loaner car. As a funny side note, today as I was speaking on the phone with the service advisor and he told me the tech was able to diagnose the problem and had listed parts on my work order but did not see what they were, my FordPass app blew up with notifications. They essentially said it was a fuel pump malfunction and needed service otherwise it would stall and fail to start, which is exactly what happened on Sunday. I guess when the tech was able to start and diagnose, FordPass lit up with malfunction indicators.

First fuel pump failure we have seen on here so definitely not common and shouldn't happen again.

First fuel pump failure we have seen on here so definitely not common and shouldn't happen again.
I hope you're right! I had almost made it to a year in early December without any issues that required repairs other than routine maintenance. One of the sales managers said the 2.7 in the F-150's have had fuel tank/pump issues when parked on inclines and low on gas.

Back