Towing about 3200 lbs with the 2" ball on bumper, bad idea? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing about 3200 lbs with the 2" ball on bumper, bad idea?

(delete please)Towing about 3200 lbs with the 2" ball on bumper

I plan on towing a 3200lb gross weight loaded trailer to Edison NJ from Detroit, this move is costing me alot of money and installing a frame mounted trailer hitch just may break the bank. Can I get away with using the bumper and not messing anything up at all? Any towing tips other then the obvious 'take it easy'.

Yep...bad idea. Your bumper is rated as a class II device for 3500 lbs, but it's not ideal. Unless you get lucky, and the trailer tongue is exactly at the correct height, your trailer will be tilted and this can lead to instability. For the distance you're going, spend the $125 on a Class III hitch (or find a used one cheaper) and be safe.

Tips...
-Leave a LOT of braking room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
-Manually take the vehicle out of overdrive on uphills to protect the transmission.
-Put a good transmission cooler on the vehicle.
-Get the trailer loading correct. Make sure there is positive weight on the tongue (between 100-200 lbs at the ball is good).
-Make sure the trailer tires are properly inflated before loading it. They may look fine when it's sitting empty, but may need to be inflated to properly carry a load.
-Make sure your safety chains are hooked up properly
-Make sure the trailer is properly seated on the ball and that the ball locking lever is locked down (put a pin or lock through the hole).
-Stop every so often and check the trailer. Make sure the bearings aren't overheating and the tires are still fully inflated.

With your 3.27's it's going to be a dog. Do you have a trans cooler at all? Is your truck rusty? That's a lot of weight, but you should technically be within range. Load the trailer smart, with the weight distributed. The general consensus you will get here is "you need a hitch". I wouldn't say it's a good idea, but not because of the bumper, but because of your gears, and transmission. You could live with a bent bumper, or replace it for under 200, get a hitch for 150, but if you smoke your transmission it will cost you a lot more.

Back