• Register Today It's free!

Towing cross country

nfntruth

Reaction score
City, State
Livin in San Diego, raised in Missouri/Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLT 4WD, V8
I am just wondering if anyone has done any long range towing with their Explorer yet? I am going to be driving cross country towing a twin axle flatbed car hauler carrying a Nissan Sentra. I figure the trailer/car package weigh about 5500lbs or so. I ordered a Hayes Genesis brake controller, and an Xcal2 programmer, so that should help. I am really interested in the highway feel and MPG. Thought about upgrading the brakes, but that was one of the biggest improvements on the 06+ explorers, going to the larger brakes. Hopefully the torque tune will make a difference. I will post the review for the brake controller, once I get it installed and adjusted, inlcuding ease of installation and so forth.
Would also like to toss in a few mod plugs. One for the KKM intake, makes a huge sound difference, actually sounds like a V8 when you get on it...and took less than 10 minutes to install.
Another for Wet Okole seat covers. I bought mine before my Explorer rolled out of the factory and installed them the same day I picked up the truck. They are pricey, about 500 for the first two rows depending what extras you get, but they FIT like a glove and make my seats child and McD's proof. If anyone is interested, just check out their site, or I can post pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I towed a 2001 Mustang GT Vert on a two axle trailer from Houston to Colorado, about 1000 miles. Then I had to tow the empty trailer back. No problems at all with a trailer brake controller hooked up. I managed 12MPG at about 75-80 MPH the whole way. One of the trailer tires even blew out on me, but it didn't phase the Explorer. I just gradually slowed and eased off the road to replace it.

I towed a 2001 Mustang GT Vert on a two axle trailer from Houston to Colorado, about 1000 miles. Then I had to tow the empty trailer back. No problems at all with a trailer brake controller hooked up. I managed 12MPG at about 75-80 MPH the whole way. One of the trailer tires even blew out on me, but it didn't phase the Explorer. I just gradually slowed and eased off the road to replace it.

Great to hear, how did the 6 speed handle it? With the 3.55, I would think 6th gear is just about worthless unless you're in Kansas....wish OD lockout was a 2 phase...1 click to lockout 6th, 2 clicks to lockout 5th and 6th.

I'll be hauling a few thousand miles in Dec....great to hear others are doing well. Which brake controller did you use? Any brake over heating through the CO mountains? If you have an XCal2 I'd be curious how the different tunes worked while towing.

thanks

Thanks for the info, I just installed my brake controller, its a Hayes Genesis, not even worth writing an install article about, took me about 2 minutes, and I removed the plate under the steering wheel to hide the cable better. Looks good too, it matches the interior look. My wife appreciates that (and I do too)
My Xcal2 should be here in a week or so,I will play with it and see it makes a difference. I will be going from San Diego to Charleston, so just about as far as you can go, but I will go south through texas, vice colorado, figure it will be safer and easier on the truck.

Agree that 6th gear is useless, I can hardly use it towing a 2 place, aluminum enclosed snowmobile trailer w/o searching much and 4th gear is a little short, runs the R's a bit high. If there is little wind I can use 6th, otherwise it is 4th.

Groovy - you got 12 towing that load? I take it you were in 4th the whole time? I only get 13-14 with our enclosed trailer being careful to keep it in 6th.

From Canton, OH to Spokane, WA

We towed a sailboat from Canton in late July of 2006 with a full load inside the ****pit of the boat; guessing about 1500lbs or so. We were also full inside the X; loaded to the gills with overflow in the basket on the roof (Clampett style!;) ) On the prairies, we got about 18mpg and coming through the mountains of Montana/Idaho only about 14 or so. We had one minor mechanical failure involving the hand winch slipping and the boat tried to back off the trailer...... YIKES! All in all, it was an epic journey! I had white knuckles going though the high passes though! Zoiks!!!

Yeah, I was amazed I got 12MPG. I was expecting 10 or less. I think I was in 4th or 5th the majority of the time. The thing ran great! No objections at all. The ride was still smooth and the engine felt like it had plenty to get it moving.

I would love to hear of any towing experience from someone with an Bamachips tuned XCal2. Very curious what, if any, difference you found with premium towing vs. premium performance.....heck...or even with the 87 performance. I've played around with them around town/highway, but haven't towed anything yet.

Just finished trip from San Diego to Topeka and back. 2 axle open trailer carrying honda civic (2000 lbs) and a lot of tires and tools and racing gear.
1600 miles each way - 2 days driving time there and back. Regular gas and I have a Hidden Hitch brake controller. Trailer is pretty set up - Load D radial tires, weight distributing hitch, good brakes and sway control.
Went the south route on 40 out and got 15.1 mpg (good weather , little headwind, nice weather so little A/C).
Went the north route home I70 and got 13.2 mpg (some bad weather, lots of headwind).
Used both 6th gear and O/D off about 50% on the way out.
More hills on way back - more O/D off used.
Explorer towed great, brakes worked good, temp guage never moved.
Air filter got real dirty - maybe time for K/N. Used 1/4 quart of oil whole trip!

I towed a 19' 3000lb ski boat from Atlanta to Scranton. PA and back with my 94 EX. I had some issues with the tranny overheating going up the mountains.

I installed a 2nd tranny cooler but the piece that really helped was a 12 VDC Aux fan installed infront of the stock tranny cooler. After turning it on I had no problems. Got 14 MPG when it ran well. Less than 10 when the CEL came on.

My air/fuel gauge redlined, then went completely dark I guess I need to replace my O2 sensors after 241K miles. :(

for a trip like that I would really recommend a temp gauge for your tranny, and an extra cooler. The cost you put into it will save your thousands if you burn up your tranny. I towed about 4500lb for 1500 miles with mine and it did very well, however I also added a shift kit, cooler, filter, Synthetic Merc, and temp gauge everything went fine although climbing mountains with the air on would bring my tranny temp up to about 219F. As long as I turned the air off when climbing hills everything ran great.

Oh and don't ever use the overdrive

you guys are talking about a 6speed :scratch:

don't you mean 5 speed, and 4 speed.

Anyone who has the a 2001 or older 5.0L has the 4r70w which is a 4 speed. If you have a 2001 or older SOHC its the 5r55e 5 speed. Then 2002 on they went to the 5r55w for all models which is beefed up 5r55e 5 speed.

In any case don't tow in OD with either tranny, especially if you have the 5r55e or 5r55w that's just asking for a future tranny rebuild.

transmission tempature gage is the absolute first thing you need for a trip like this IMO

Then more cooling for the transmission (larger aux cooler then factory, additional cooler)

the 4.6L will be taxed with 5500# trailer and you will run into some steep grade and gradual climbs.....

x3 for the temp gauge, oh wait I already voted :scratch:

Oh and don't ever use the overdrive

you guys are talking about a 6speed :scratch:

don't you mean 5 speed, and 4 speed.

The 06/07 now has a 6 speed tranny.;)

The 06/07 now has a 6 speed tranny.;)

jeesh, were have I been, they dumped the 5r55w already :dunno:

my apologies, I didn't realize. I need to do some reading on the new tranny 6speeds that thing must really be close ratio. What is the torque rating ?

The new ratios and 6th gear is nice on flat roads but even with an empty truck it needs to down shift on hills. The OD button locks out both 5th and 6th....so it actually puts me in 4th with the opposite problem.....to many revs. Wish there was a way just lock out 6th and make 5th more useable.

292 hp
300 torque

those are the numbers for the 4.6, I was curious what the tranny was rated for, and what else it was being used for IE f-150 etc.. I notice they have a 6speed in the trucks now as well.

on a side note, I noticed that the new 4.0 now runs cleaner than a honda hybrid :scratch: thats pretty impressive..

anyway back to topic....

...and what else it was being used for IE f-150 etc.. I notice they have a 6speed in the trucks now as well.
I don't believe a 6-speed auto is available in any of the Ford trucks other than Explorers. There's a 6 gear manual available for the F-150, but the auto is still 5 speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple things here, The Expedition I know is running the six speed auto. As far as towing with it My 07 EB V8 4X4, (Becasue all that does matter). Was ok I have a 4000 lb Camper that I tow with it, after adding all my crap and people it prolly weight in at 5200 lbs. I towed it from Philly to South Dakota. Truck has the power to pull it no problem as long as your not in a hurry. 65 MPH is prolly a pretty effecient speed. It didn't do as well on gas as my 04 with the V8 did. it was around 9 or 10 but it has a big frontal area on the trailer too. Stopping is no problem It has a brake controler

Back