• Register Today It's free!

Towing Tips...Axle Ratio

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Through the years, I have observed a lot of trucks towing rigs and talked with a lot of Explorer owners at RV parks who tow. The best Explorer towing axle ratios, in my opinion, are 3.73 and 4.10. These ratios use slightly more fuel when not towing. However compared with 3.27 or 3.55 axles, there is not too much difference in fuel comsumption when loaded and towing a trailer in the same model year and engine. Plus, I believe 3.73 and 4.10 axle ratios are also easier on the transmission and the engine does not have to work as hard. Hope this helps someone. Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Thanks Mike! I was wondering about that, as i was preparing to tow with my X. My high gear ratio (3.08) gets great milage while i'm cruising down the freeway at 75mph. But i wondered about it's tow-ability.

I have a 5-speed. Rather than switch to the 3.73's or 4.10's, why not use a lower gear?

In theory...
If i had 4.10's, and was pulling a trailer, i could tow comfortably down the highway at 55-60 mph in 5th gear.

However, with my 3.08's, why can't i pull the same trailer at the same speed, only in 4th, rather than 5th. I would essentially be turning the same RPM's, and still have the same power avalable, only in a lower gear.

I know that with the higher gear ratio, shifting will spread out the RPM's more, as well as making starts more difficult.

I know that, for towing purposes, the lower gear ratio would be best. But as a compromise, why can't i keep my stock 3.08's and tow in a lower gear?

i am not sure but i think the tranny gear ratios are so close that it would not work... you cant start your car out in 4 th gear can you?

Thanks, BRacing, for your inquiry. Most of my towing has been in vehicles with automatic transmissions. Sounds like you are getting great gas milage with your 3:08 axle. You will have more power with 4th gear but perhaps not enough. You have some choices to make. First, you must consider the size, weight and frontal area (wind drag) of your trailer. Find out the recommended tow weights in your owners manual for your model year and manual transmission. Secondly are distance the type of highways..flat land or mountains? Wish I could be more optimistic, but as you know, the 3:08 is a great gas milage axle but you are really limited when it comes to towing. Good luck. Mike

Yes, i understand the size/weight limitation of my vehicle and it's towing capabilitys. I can easily understand where the 3.08 would be a huge disadvantage while towing in town, where acceleration from a stop is absolutely necessary.

My towing will be freeway towing, mostly flatland, as i transport the race car from track to track. I'm going to use the 3.08's next season to see how they fair. If i have no power, then i'll go ahaid and install a lower gear ratio.

Thanks for your help!

Back